May 23, 2009

A Day Off?


Today, the Mister said that we were both taking a day off from working. Yet, I still did laundry. And dishes. And dinner, although it was really simple. And I baked a recipe I saw on The Today Show the other day - Paula Deen's Easy Blueberry Skillet Coffee Cake.

Paula Deen's Easy Blueberry Skillet Coffee Cake

2 T unsalted butter
2 T light brown sugar
One 12-ounce tube buttermilk biscuits
1 C blueberries, fresh or thawed frozen

Streusel topping

1/4 C slivered almonds
1/4 C granulated sugar
2 T butter
2 1/2 T all-purpose flour
1 t ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 375. To make the streusel, combine the almonds, sugar, butter, flour and cinnamon in a food processor and pulse until large crumbs form. (I don't have a food processor - I used two knives and cut the butter into the other ingredients until it formed crumbs.)

2. In a 9-inch cast iron or other ovenproof skillet, cook the butter and brown sugar over medium heat until melted. Arrange the biscuits in a single layer in the pan; scatter the blueberries over the biscuits and the streusel topping over the berries. Bake until the biscuits are golden and a tester inserted into the center of a biscuit comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

Allow to cool slightly and serve from skillet.

I'm not a blueberry fan, but it was good. The Mister and The Boy sure liked it. Next time, I'll try using peaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!