May 21, 2009

Pulled Pork, Anyone?



Today, I'm trying my hand at pulled pork. I first ate this yummy stuff when I lived in Sumter, SC. But I fell in love with it when I had it at Hog Heaven, a ramshackle shack next to Nashville's Centennial Park. Hog Heaven uses a white barbecue sauce, there's nothing else like it. I have fond memories of going to lunch with the guys at work, and sitting in the park, eating the delicious saucy pork and coleslaw-crammed sandwich.

Today, I'm not attempting to re-create that sauce, I'm using a couple recipes I found on Recipezaar, my go-to site for channeling my inner June Cleaver. I'm making the Pig Pickin Sauce, which is a NC-style, vinegar-based sauce. (recipe below).

So far, I seasoned the pork butt
(on sale for $.97/lb. this week) with salt, pepper and garlic salt, I've baked it for 90 minutes at 350 degrees; now I'm simmering the meat with three onions, two heaping T of minced garlic, and three bay leaves in a cast iron dutch oven. It smells wonderful this morning. When the simmering is done (three hours), the pork should just fall from the bones.

The pork and sauce will be served on toasted buns, and topped with coleslaw and a pickle slice. Be still, my wee lil heart.

Pig Pickin Sauce
1 cup apple cider vinegar (not white vinegar)
1 T brown sugar
1 t salt, to taste
1/2 t ground cayenne pepper
1/2 t ground black pepper

This recipe has been reminding me of the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, and one of its most-recited lines, "Secret's in the sauce."


1 comment:

  1. Update on the sauce...very very vinegary. I added about a cup and a half of ketchup, and half a cup of water. I boiled it, then simmered for fifteen minutes. It's pretty spicy...not sure Daniel will eat it. The sugar in the ketchup has lessened the vinegary flavor. I think it's good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!