June 06, 2009

Did Ya Know that Mennonite Girls Can Cook?

I randomed (that's my word for using the 'Next Blog' button at the top of the page) onto the Mennonite Girls Can Cook blog the other day. Hey, do I get credit for coining 'randomed'?

My goodness, Ellen, Julie, Anneliese, Judy, Lovella, Bev, Marg, Betty R., Ellen B. and Charlotte (the aforementioned Mennonite Girls) have been very busy cooking up everything from appetizers to yeast breads. And Sunday, June 7th, is their first anniversary as bloggers.

The other day, I tried their Pork in Sour Cream Sauce - sort of a pork stroganoff, if there is such a thing. It only took about 35 minutes from start to finish. The sauce was wonderful, if a bit bland. I will certainly make this dish again, but I will definitely add some salt and pepper.

They also feature traditional Mennonite dishes, with all their German-sounding names (or at least, to me, it's German-sounding). They have duplicate recipes for some of the traditional dishes, so you can compare variations between the girls' family recipes. And an added treat are the comments the girls leave each other - like several of them were making Obst Mooss (some sort of fruit soup) on the same day, it was a race to the finish line to see which one would post a finished pic (it also included a wee bit of trash talk...lol).

For those wanting to learn more about the Mennonite faith and way of life, you can look here.

I already have a Mennonite cookbook, passed from my aunt to my mom, and then to me. In this economy, frugal is the new black, and the Mennonites are all over it. Perhaps we all would benefit from a simpler way of life.

Pork in Sour Cream Sauce
6 Loin pork chops (or 1 pork tenderloin cut into medallions)

1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. finely chopped onion
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 clove garlic, minced
1 beef boullion cube
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream
sliced fresh mushrooms if desired


In large skillet or electric fry pan, brown pork chops or medallions.
Add 1/2 cup water, brown sugar, onion, ketchup, garlic, boullion cube and mushrooms.
Cover and simmer about 30 minutes for pork chops, less for medallionsor until tender - this will depend on the thickness of the pork pieces. If needed, add a little more water.
Remove meat to serving platter and keep warm.
In a small bowl, combine flour with 1/4 cup cold water until smooth. Slowly add to liquid in pan, stirring constantly until sauce thickens.
Stir in sour cream, whisking it in until well blended. Heat thoroughly but do not boil.
Serve sauce over chops.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh....there is a writer in you I see. Grin...just popped over from the MGCC blog and read your comment. Yes those women can cook...truly!

    You have quite the interesting blog yourself. I shall come back sometime and take a more indepth look. That strawberry shortcake looks delicious and as strawberries are EVERYWHERE these days...I should really make one myself. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish,
    Thanks for stopping by...and I'm reading The Mad Chemist right now...I see some recipes that I want to try already!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!