June 01, 2009

Six Reasons to Embrace and Enjoy Your Autistic Child

I am doing this for 'Listlessness Monday', from Anna's blog, a new one I've stumbled upon. Here are six reasons you'll thank your lucky stars that your child has disabilities:

1. Saves you money.
  • You NEVER have to buy or wrap birthday presents for classmates or child-age relatives - because your son doesn't get an invite to the parties.
  • You don't need to stock up on snack foods for the neighbor kids - they don't come over.
2. Saves you from boredom.
  • You always have the perfect excuse not to attend a social event you'd like to avoid - "Well, ya know, we'd LOVE to attend, but we have the Boy" (you know, they really don't want you to come with him, and are hoping you give them an out).
  • "8pm, you say? Sorry, the boy has taken his medication and is ready for bed by then...sorry."
3. Never worry about how to use your vacation time.
  • You get to go on school field trips FOR FREE - because the school doesn't want to be responsible should the boy climb into the polar bear enclosure or suddenly run roughshod through the museum giftshop.
  • Psychiatric and therapy appointments also ensure that your PTO balance stays low!
4. Lets you vent your dislike of jerks without actually speaking.
  • He says the most horrible insults to people who have been a pain in the azz for years, and all is forgiven because he's autistic (That's my boy!)
5. Help others feel better about their own lives.
  • If you're looking for a pity fix, just tell someone your child is bipolar and autistic...first, crickets, then that oh so sincere pity face. Score!
  • They actually go home and hug their children, and thank the higher power of their choice that they have the kids they have.
6. You can feel justified to bit** about ignorant strangers on a blog.
A shame that these folks never seem to see the kid when he's damned near normal, and the labels don't show.

6 comments:

  1. I think I like #4 best. That would come in handy for me!

    Nice list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I should laugh or cry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. abdpbt,
    Send a roundtrip ticket and the boy can insult people in your neighborhood, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama Kat,
    Please don't cry...remember, I'm not going for the pity fix. I wrote this foremost as a way to vent my frustrations as a mom of a disabled kid.

    I also wanted to raise awareness for parents whose kids are doing just fine and dandy. Have an odd duck in the neighborhood or in your child's class? Invite them to your kid's party, understand that their "unnormal" behavior is just how their brains are wired. Teach your children tolerance and acceptance of people who are different. I'm talking inclusion here. Diversity is good, that's all I'm sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm not a mother of a child with a disability, but I AM the sister to one. Of course, she is not a child anymore. Although at 29 and with the mentality of a 15 year old, I still consider her a child, my baby sister.

    I understand your frustration with everything you wrote. Tolerance is hard to come by. Best wishes to you.
    Raina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raina,
    Thanks for your comment. Every day with a disabled child is an adventure...and a learning experience. I'm glad he's here teaching me so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!