June 11, 2009

Vermont Maple Syrup Pork Chops and Oven Roasted Vegetables

Today's recipe for Vermont Maple Syrup Pork Chops comes from simplyrecipes.com. Yesterday, I was online looking for new pork chop recipes as The Boy looked over my shoulder. The Boy would eat breakfast food at every meal if he could. When he saw 'maple syrup' in the recipe, his eyes almost bugged out from excitement. I think he had visions of pancakes in his head. He previously would have had visions of French toast, but after the 'Eat Until You Puke' incident, he has sworn off eating French toast forever.
The maple syrup and vinegar combination kind of make a sweet and sour flavor, but not in that artificial red Chinese food sort of way. The vegetables cooked in the oven alongside the pork chops. Other than an occasional basting of the pork, there was no real pot watching. Both dishes were done at the same time. Oh, and it helps if you turn on the oven. Imagine my chagrin when the timer went off and nothing was cooked! What I think I did was that I turned off the oven at the same time I turned off the burner where the pork chops had been browning. So the oven stayed a little bit warm, but no serious cooking took place. Needless to say, we ate dinner a wee bit later than I had anticipated...and we ate dessert first!

Vermont Maple Syrup Pork Chops
6 pork chops
Oil,for browning (I used olive oil)
1/4 C chopped onion
1 T apple cider or white vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
1 t chili powder
1/2 t pepper
1/4 C maple syrup (I used real maple syrup, not that artificially-flavored nonsense)
1/4 C water
1T Worcestershire sauce
Salt to taste
Flour, to thicken the gravy (I used about 2 T of flour mixed with 2 T of water)

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly brown the pork chops in small amount of oil, then place them in a baking dish.
  2. Combine the other ingredients in a small saucepan, and heat until warm; pour over chops. Cover and bake for 45 minutes, basting occasionally. (If the chops are kinda thin, I'd probably check to see if they were done at 30 minutes).
  3. Place the pork chops on a platter, pour the sauce from the baking pan into a saucepan. Thicken it slightly with flour and water to make a gravy, salt to taste, and serve it over the pork chops.
Oven Roasted Vegetables
This is my own concoction. I also like this cooked on the grill, in foil packets.

4 medium potatoes, washed and
thinly sliced
1 chopped onion
1 T minced garlic
1/2 red bell pepper, cored, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 medium zucchini, thinly
sliced (Sometimes I use half a zucchini and half a yellow squash, whatever is on hand).
Olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare the vegetables. In a 2 qt. baking dish, drizzle some olive oil to prevent the food from sticking. Place the veggies in the pan, add salt and pepper, to taste. Give it a good stir so that the veggies are mixed, and the oil is more evenly distributed. For good measure, drizzle a bit more oil over the top. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes.

You can also use sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. Add thinly sliced carrots if you like. Or mushrooms. Use your imagination.

1 comment:

  1. Looks very yummy and I do love syrup! I also love to have breakfast for dinner myself. Did that very thing at Denny's with my husband last night!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!