June 20, 2009

The World's Best Carrot Cake


I've been making carrot cake for almost 30 years (yes, I'm that old!). I'm always looking for a new take on old favorites. Lucky for me, I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. It makes a dense, moist cake. It was the Mister's favorite cake until I made the Strawberry Shortcake Cake a few weeks ago.

The Mister requested this cake for Father's Day, I made it today. Because it's never a bad time to eat bake cake!



Carrot Cake

4 eggs
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil

2 cups white sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

3 cups grated carrots

1 cup chopped pecans
(optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
I finish it with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 t vanilla
4 C confectioner's sugar

Using a mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese until creamy. Add the vanilla. Beat in the confectioner's sugar, a little at a time (don't have the mixer speed too high, or you'll make a cloud of sugar dust!). After the sugar is mixed in, turn up the speed on the mixer and beat until it's done.




5 comments:

  1. I'll have to bookmark that and give it a try. I can't seem to cook to save my life. The Husband married me anyway. That does sound easy, though, so maybe I have a chance. I'll let you know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! Think of cooking as an art project you can eat! Use spices and veggies to add depth and color to your dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 30 years my ass. You never made me carrot cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin,
    Back in the dark ages, I used to make carrot cake, and zucchini bread or cake, and pound cake.

    I also used to make dinner. Even fish. You liked perch, Shannon liked flounder.

    I'm sorry your brain rejected those memories for ones where I was negligent.

    Love,
    Mom

    And let's leave your body parts out of the comments, ok?

    Don't forget to wish your sister a happy birthday today, toots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So really it hasn't been 30 years because you took off for like 15 years. :)

    I already left her a happy birthday comment on FB. More than what I got for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!