July 07, 2009

Baker's Remorse

Yes, I did it. And I am already suffering from buyer's remorse.

Last night, I attended my first Wilton cake decorating class. What the hell was I thinking?

Sure, I can bake a cake. I even prefe
r doing the baking from scratch. I can cream, beat, fold, measure, scrape, sift, mix and blend. I can slop on some homemade frosting. But decorate it? Who am I kidding? I can't draw a straight line with a ruler! I have double vision - I can't imagine that being a good thing when trying to make a cake look pretty.

I plunked down a U.S. Grant ($50, for those of you who aren't up on US currency denominations) for supplies I will need for this four-week course. See the cake in the picture there? That's our final project.

Tell me you're not laughing.

I have two excuses for signing up for this class: Continuing unemployment, and The Julie/Julia Project, the book I am currently reading.

Here's my thought process: Hey, I have lots of time on my hands, being unemployed and all. And if that Julie chick in the book can cook 524 of Julia Child's recipes from Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a year, then I should be able to take this 4-week course...it's a piece of cake (pun intended)!

Next Monday evening, here's what I must bring to class:
  • Apron
  • Damp cloth or sponge
  • Scissors, pencil, plastic bag for dirty utensils
  • Waxed paper squares for making roses
  • Piping gel (I'm not even sure what it is, but I bought it)
  • 8 inch cake (any flavor), frosted with blue frosting (not buttercream, but that Crisco-laced frosting that creates a nice crust for further decoration). Isn't that what everyone wants in a cake frosting - grease and a crust?
  • Enough colored frosting to do the design of the night (five additional colors), plus some extra for practice.
  • My cake decorating tool caddy.
  • My handy dandy cake turntable.
Are you all envious yet?

I thought not.

Here's what the finished product is supposed to look like:


I'll try to remember to take a picture of the cake when I'm done with class next Monday. We can do a contrast and compare. Won't that be fun?

I.can't.wait. Really.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, wow...can't wait to see your version of the cake. ;)

    Got to your blog by way of the One-Minute Writer and just have to say kudos to your offering on today's prompt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a refund and use the 50 to buy cakes. Much more fun to sit and eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Denise! I'm glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Millenium,
    You are one smart woman! Stay tuned for how this cake experiment goes...and I'm saving the next $50 for the bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. June -- I find this sooo interesting. I've always wondered what those classes are like. It's so great that you're going to go and then TELL about it, so that I don't HAVE to go! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!