July 25, 2009

Homemade Fresh Tomato Sauce

We've had a bit of luck growing tomatoes this year. Not bad for a deck container garden. We have three tomato plants (not counting the cherry tomatoes, which are nearing the end of their output). I already made fresh salsa this week, and was trying to figure out what to do with the rest of this week's bounty.

So I went to Recipezaar again, and found a simple recipe for fresh tomato sauce.

I always thought I'd have to put the tomatoes in a boiling pot of water for a minute to peel them. But I looked around online and found a new tip that saved me from that soggy, hot mess.

Run the blunt edge of a paring knife over the tom
ato (like you're peeling an apple). You'll notice that the skin gets a bit darker, and it gets wrinkly. When you core the tomato, you just pull the skin off with your fingers - it's that easy! If necessary, use the knife for any stubborn pieces of skin. Here's a pic of the peeled tomatoes.



The Mister gives this sauce a BIG thumbs up; personally, I think it's a wee bit sweet - I'd decrease the sugar a bit. But then again, maybe I didn't have exactly the amount of tomatoes required.

I did NOT can the sauce. I put it in quart freezer bags, and logically, put them in the freezer.

Homemade Fresh Tomato Sauce

4 1/2 lbs ripe tomatoes
, peeled, stem ends and cores removed, coarsely chopped 3 medium onions, very finely chopped 1 cup white vinegar 2 garlic cloves, minced 4 bay leaves 2 teaspoons dried basil 2 teaspoons dried oregano 2 teaspoons table salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice 1 cup granulated sugar

  1. Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium high, stirring often. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until thickened to desired sauce consistency.
  2. Add more salt if needed.
  3. Pour into hot sterilized pint jars to within 1/2 inch from top.
  4. Place sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely.
  5. For added assurance against spoilage, you may choose to process in a boiling water bath for 35 minutes.
  6. If you would rather, this may be cooled, poured into containers leaving 1 inch head space and frozen. Makes 3 1/2 pints.
  7. MEATY SPAGHETTI SAUCE: Brown 2 1/4 pounds lean ground beef. Add to Tomato Sauce. Stir. Freeze in 2 cups containers.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you were cooking up some goods today too! Except, we did have a hot kitchen...

    Freezer bags? I'd be really afraid one would leak! I guess what they are frozen though that wouldn't be a problem. The bubbly pot does look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use freezer bags, too--for that and for deer meat. The deer meat bags get greasy feeling when we defrost (ew) but the spaghetti sauce always does fine. I used to can it...but it just took so much extra time and effort. I do can jam, but not veggies anymore.

    Since you're not canning, you could probably eliminate the vinegar if you wanted. And, good for you for removing the skins. I often puree everything together. So lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I have no food processor here, there is no pureeing to be had!

    When I use the sauce, I'll add some tomato paste, then it won't be so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are becoming more and more like my mother. Just the thought of the harvest ending, reminds me of the smells that used to come from her kitchen. You are really scaring me, and I thought I was the domesticated one. I wonder though could you fill up empty balloons and use them for freezing? you would have to wash them out first of course.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krazy,
    I know how you felt about your mom, so I'm taking that as a compliment. And I wore your apron the whole time I made the sauce!

    Why would I have to wash out the balloons if I was just filling them with water to use as ice balls for freezing stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are VALADATED.. on your new blog face.
    I guess you know you may have ruined my laptop. i been drooling on the keyboard over those tomatoes.(my favoritest ever forever berries,,lol) wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the validation, glnroz! Sorry about the laptop. Maybe you can get one of those 'keyboard condom' things we used to use when I was the system manager at a medical lab? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glnroz,
    I found a cover for ya here: http://www.protectcovers.com/

    Now you can safely browse photos of tomatoes, in all their glory.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!