July 27, 2009

I Am a Wilton Class Dropout

I did not attend my final class tonight. I did some of the prep work yesterday, and made these swirl flowers. Out of all the techniques we practiced, the swirl flowers were the only thing I didn't find to be torturous to make. And they are far from perfect - trust me on this.


But I have a raging migraine today, and spent most of the day in bed. I certainly didn't feel like baking a cake and making all the other frosting I'd need for my final project.

I found the Wilton class to be madly frustrating. I have no craftiness in me (other than an occasional well-turned phrase). I turned into an ugly person at home and at class when I could not make my flowers and shells and other nonsense look anywhere close to what was expected. I cursed. I whined. I wanted to throw inanimat
e objects.

I know some of this is due to my being a perfectionist - I want to do it perfectly the first time. But even with practice, I wasn't making much progress. The list of things that could not be put on a cake by me was longer than the list of what would look good.

I am also left handed - the bulk of the instructions were for right handed folks (as are most craft-related instructions); even the instructors were
right handed; they had to think 'backwards' to assist me in class.

As far as overall craftiness is concerned, It probably doesn't help that I have double vision, either. I can't draw or cut a straight line to save my life.

So I spent some dough and have a lovely tackle box-like object filled with
instruments of torture tips and frosting bags and such.

This class was supposed to be fun. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather be strapped to a dentist's chair and have a root canal without ane
sthesia, while polka music wafts from the speakers in the ceiling.

In case you're curious, here's what the final project was supposed to look like:


5 comments:

  1. I'm a total quitter too ... if I don't excel immediately, I quit. Plus I'm left-handed ... I blame that for everything. I imagine double-vision is a big hindrance in cake decorating. Nonetheless, I think your flowers look pretty good -- but I have bad vision so what do I know?

    Love your happy new look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to try a cake class but I am pretty sure I would feel that same way you did about it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A quitter never wins, and a Winner never quits. Hmmmm ok so now that you have this new crafty kit. Get in the kitchen, get on the internet and don't ever give up. I expect a wonderful creation by the time I come back to MO. Hey you mastered the art of balloons. You can do it. I know you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the migraine. They are horrid.

    PS...I really like the new layout. AND,before I even read your 'olive' observation I stopped and looked at them for a second and thought "Hey, those almost look edible!!"

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cake decorating is mystifying to me. And to have to translate everything into left-handed first? My daughter Sophie is with ya there. She would have had some unprintable things to say, too, and she's only 8.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!