July 08, 2009

Monkey Bread for My Monkey


I had the recipe for Monkey Bread sitting on my desk, mocking me. You know what I mean - that paper just sits there, whining "make me already". I figured making it for The Boy's first breakfast after his return from camp would be a good thing to do. This stuff is yummy, and would make a great dessert! If you're looking for a low-calorie, nutrition-rich breakfast, look elsewhere. This is biscuit dough and butter-laden, cinnamony, sugary, yes, even pecan-y pull-apart goodness. Once again, I got the recipe at Recipezaar.

The picture in the original recipe (and in all other versions of the recipe I've seen) uses a Bundt pan. I do own a silicone cathedral-style Bundt pan, but the last time I used it, even though I sprayed the bejeezus out of it before baking, stuff stuck. So I just did this in a glass 9x13 pan. The picture was taken before I flipped the finished dish out into a cake carrier (so you can't see the syrupy pecan topping).

Monkey Bread
  • 3 cans biscuits (cut in quarters)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup pecans
  • 1 1/2 cups melted butter or melted margarine
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • nonstick cooking spray
Directions
  1. In a bag or bowl, place biscuits, sugar, and cinnamon and coat the biscuits well.
  2. Spray Bundt pan or bread pan with non stick coating.
  3. Sprinkle pecans on bottom.
  4. Cover with biscuits.
  5. Mix butter with sugar and cinnamon.
  6. Pour over top.
  7. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
  8. When done cooking, turn pan upside down on a plate, to let the goo run all over.
  9. Serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I think Monkey Winklebean will love this.... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, I've had this before but never made it myself. I think it must be time to try though because you are the second person in as many days to tell me you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From one cook to another that monkey bread looks so good. Like right off the page good. I'm a huge lover of the sweet stuff though I rarely get to indulge. It teases me so I'd better go look at something else.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!