July 23, 2009

Your Assignment, Should You Choose to Accept - 7/23/09

Once again, it's time for writing greatness thanks to the prompts at Mama Kat's.

The Prompts:

1.) They just don't make (fill in the blank) like they used to!
(inspired by Roxanne)

2.) If you had the time and money...what charity would you help raise awareness for?
(inspired by Christina...click here to enter her raffle)

3.) What are YOU giddy about?
(inspired by Heather)

4.)What's on YOUR little kids list?
(inspired by Ashley)

5.)Describe what brought you closer to your faith.
(inspired by Emily)


I think I'll do prompts #1 and #2 today. I looked up the definition of giddy; right now, nothing makes me dizzy or euphoric. The Boy is NOT a little kid, so I'll skip #4. I consider my spirituality a private matter, so I won't post anything about #5 - When I do pray, I prefer to follow Matthew 6: 5-6:

5And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

1. They just don't make Kids like they used to:
When I was a kid (remember, I'm OLD):
  • Children were taught that it was better to be seen and not heard. I stuffed down a lot of smartass comments in my youth (and got smacked for those that escaped my lips). It was rare when you'd be asked your opinion about anything.
  • We called adults 'Mr.', 'Miss', or 'Mrs.', followed by their last name. There was a clear division of who was in charge. Adults had the upper hand.
  • Most kids did not get everything their little hearts desired. Whining was not tolerated - at best, it got you a firm look; at worst, a spanking. And even after the spanking, you still did not score the toy/candy/stuff you whined about.
  • Kids made their own fun. We did not look to our parents for entertainment. And a whiny "I'm bored" usually got you some extra chores.
  • Picky eaters were rarer - you ate what was on your plate, or you didn't eat at all. And you never wasted food, not ever.
  • There were very few hovering parents, and the world seemed less dangerous (I think it's just that we heard less about pedophiles, and other miscreants). We naively ventured out into the neighborhood, and rode our bikes further than we should have, and took more chances than kids are permitted to do today.
  • Kids weren't so over-scheduled. We ate dinner as a family, and watched TV in the same room. Our bedrooms generally did not look like toy stores or electronics boutiques.
  • Our toys did not take over the entire house. We had fewer possessions, and were expected to take care of them - and put them away in our rooms.
  • We didn't have tons of clothing. Laundry was done once a week. You wore things more than once before it went in the washer.
  • Kids had very little autonomy in the home. Parents made the decisions; kids followed along. We weren't consulted about what movie to see, or where to go on vacation (if you were lucky enough to go on one).
2. If you had the time and money...what charity would you help raise awareness for?
I do have the time, I'm home all day. The money? Not so much. I'd raise awareness about mental illness (most likely through NAMI), and autism (there are several charities to choose from). Lest you think I am noble or possess any other altruistic tendencies, I would support these two causes because I deal with them on a daily basis. The Boy was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder when he was six; with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (in the autism spectrum) when he was nine.

We face many challenges every day. I have tried to educate myself about these disorders - and these organizations do a marvelous job helping folks cope with these disabilities. Some day, I'll have to blog about the one time I attended a local NAMI meeting. It was eye-opening.

They also help fund research into the cause and treatment of these disorders (there is no cure...yet, although there are some folks who think their children have been "cured" of autism. I'm not convinced.).


Perhaps when The Boy is out on his own (assuming he ever reaches that goal), I'll do my part. But for now, while I'm still in the trenches, I defer to the folks who currently champion these causes.

13 comments:

  1. I love your description of childhood ... I do think we need to get back to that -- when kids were kids, adults were adults, people didn't waste money on the latest junk gadgets, and kids could adventure out on their own and use imagination. Plus, I do think kids today don't appreciate what they have. I think I'm going to try and incorporate more of these elements into my parenting style as I sometimes I think my kid rules my world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish more kids were like that today. I try real hard to follow those. My kids know not to tell me they are bored or they do lots of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everything you said about kids today vs. yesterday. When and why did this happen? Nothing is more disgusting to me than seeing a child completely control their parent(s) with their behaviour. It's so not natural!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for stopping by! right now FACES is focused in and around the Houston area, but if we can get the word out around the country (or world!!!) and our donor list grew a bit (ha...) we could definitely help families outside of our area. That's the ultimate goal!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! When I was a kid my mother didn't ask me what I wanted for dinner or make a separate meal just for me. I ate whatever she made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm new here, but I fully agree about the kids. I'm not that old myself, only 25, and expecting my first, but I would much rather kids be like the past than how they are being raised today! I do not plan to make multiple meals, I expect family time every night (as my family still has a family night weekely where we play games and eat dinner together) etc. One parent at a time perhaps things can reverse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couldn't agree with you more on the kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy..here, here!! I keep telling my own kids that they should feel very lucky to have me for a parent and not my step father!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so with you on all of your thoughts. We have 6 kids...4 grown. We were the only ones that gave our kids chores...and I mean chores, not what other people call work. My boys were taunted and teased for not having Nike socks or the latest video games or all the remote control devices on the planet. Some still hold grudges...they are still young though, and I hope that someday they realize what we were trying to do. I guess only when they have kids of their own will they truly understand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I SO agree with you on the kids section ... kids today have no idea what we all went through ... little spoiled jerks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey thanks for stopping by! You didn't mention this one--my girls share a room. Once the boy is old enough to be on another floor, he'll be up in the attic with them for a while, too (until the point that my oldest might want a space without a little brother, at which point we'll split the attic into two rooms). I'm not willing to give up my guest room/craft room to let them have their own special inner sanctum right now. I shared a room with people until, well, my senior year of college. They can too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bridgett,
    I'm the only girl in my family (four brothers). I never had to share a room.

    But my daughters did, until the younger one was 15. So glad when THAT was over!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't want to give the impression that I think kids should be ignored, abused, or otherwise tortured.

    I just think that it's not in anybody's best interest to be your kid's friend.

    I think this trend started about 30 years ago, probably by kids who had "refrigerator moms" - and when these kids became parents, they did a complete 180 on their own kids, and made them their contemporaries.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!