August 02, 2009

Get Your Book On!


I recently joined an online Yahoo book group, BookiesToo. I really like what they do.
Here's the skinny:

BookiesToo is a long-standing book discussion group that is friendly and welcoming. We enjoy stimulating book discussion and we love to chat about anything that is book-related! Our discussion schedule includes two books per month. We primarily discuss literary fiction but members may nominate books from any genre for discussion. We then vote from among all nominated titles to arrive at a schedule.

We are currently discussing Olive Kitteridge by Elizabe
th Strout.
Coming up:
August 16 - August 31, 2009: Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck

September 1 - September 15, 2009: The Help by Kathryn Stockett
September 16 - September 30, 2009: The Ele
gance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
October 1 - October 15, 2009: The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta

October 16 - October 31, 2009: The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith
For more information about us, please visit our website: http://www.geocities.com/bookiestoo/.


They do
have a pretty ambitious schedule (two weeks per book), so I already know that I'm not going to read each and every one of them in time.

During the discussion phase, a volunteer moderator posts questions about the book - and you can tell they do their research first. It's a group of book-loving smart folks, and they encourage lively discussion about the b
ooks they are reading.

The current selection is Olive Kitteridge. I went to the library to get a copy - guess what format I got?



A sweet little MP3 player (battery included). Just add the headset/earbuds and you're good to go! I've already listened to about half the book - the buttons are easy to understand, and the quality of the audio is good, even on my Dollar Tree headset.

Of course, this little device makes it impossible for me to excuse lack of domestic
productivity due to reading. I'm still working this out in my head, but I think that's both a good and a bad thing.

I'm a bit concerned that listening to the book will make it harder for me to participate in the discussion, but I'm going to give it a shot.


I'll be browsing my library's selections online to see if I can get some of the other books they have scheduled. Thank goodness for interlibrary loan programs, and online library catalogues.

We pay $15/quarter to be able to use the county library (the closest branch is about five miles down the road). Our little town doesn't participate in the county program, so we ju
st pay the family rate to go - it's sure worth it to us! There are three readers here, and $60 would hardly support our reading habit for a year. And they have the end of the month late fee amnesty day - bring in a canned good for every $2 you owe, and all is forgiven!

I love the internets for this kind of stuff. I think it would be cool if the group used Userplane or some other online group chatting software (audio and video) for some of the book discussions - it's so nice to put a face to the name, and you get to hear tone of voice and inflection when someone's stating their opinion (can't
get THAT from email).

In other book news, I'm also still reading My Life in France, by Julia Child. I am thoroughly enjoying thi
s book. I have a new fondness and respect for Julia Child. She loved her husband, her life, and food. And her husband Paul was a real gem, too. (If you get the book, check out the Valentine's cards they'd send to friends and family - one of the cards appears on the book cover). I'd like to finish this book by the weekend, in time to see the movie Julie and Julia. I had already read the book the movie is based on. Nora Ephron did the screenplay, so I expect lots of sarcasm and witty humor.

What book are YOU reading?

5 comments:

  1. My selection of books is much like my selection of food. Sometimes I look for something 'heavy' to fill me up ("The Story of Edgar Sawtelle"), or just a snack ("Dead to the World" by Charlaine Harris). There have been times when I really wanted to make a commitment to a 12-course meal, so I started the Terry Goodkind's series "Sword of Truth" which has been made into a TV series that's been renewed for a second season.

    But with the recent stress in my life (read: =negative= stress), I needed a chocolate dessert and picked up "Nutcase" by Charlotte Hughes. It's not the dark chocolate that is good for one's health but a creamy, 'melt in your mouth not in your hands' treat. Otherwise known as an easy read.

    And in this case, it was really the =title= of the book that spoke to me since it reflects how I feel these days.

    By the way, if you want an easy & practical website to record your book collection and you like to read reviews from a wide range of readers, try
    http:www.shelfari.com

    Which brings me to one of my pet peeves: books that are re-released with different covers. Prior to Shelfari, I had quite a few duplicates. Ok, so my memory's not so good. That reminds me, I should reread "Memory in Death" by J. D. Robb.

    Hmm, for some reason I'm hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Moore,
    I just sent you an email (hope it's a current address - mindspring?)

    I finished Julia Child last night, am now going to read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

    Lovin' the library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Abstinence Teacher" was great -- be sure to do that one! I reviewed it on my book blogi if you are interested.

    And I just got "Olive Kittredge" from Paperback Swap but I'm not planning on reading it anytime soon.

    And I won "Julie and Julia" in a giveaway and that is next on my list. Just finished a "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant (interesting) and "You Suck" by Christopher Moore (loved it ... I think you might like it too).

    I love that you love to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Between my Kindle and audiobooks, I get a lot of books in. I do find that I don't remember as much detail on the audio books but I love listening while I walk for exerise.

    I took a professional designation course several years ago and purchased review audio tapes. My husband loved exam week. My house was the cleanest it ever was all year because I would listen and clean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I joined book mooch and my local library. I enjoy trying out the different authors that I would normally not select if I was buying a book. the only book club I belong to, though, is Ronda's Rants on Sunday each month. It would be a lot of fun though, to join a real one. Maybe I'll check out a Chapters store or the library and see if there is one.

    Cool MP3 book too! I've never heard of those!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!