August 18, 2009

The Mouse, or the Engine, That Roared

I like me a clean windshield on my car. Because of this, I use a lot of windshield washer fluid.

Decades ago, when I had a Volkswagen Beetle, I obsess
ively often pushed the button on the dashboard to clean my windshield. Did you know that in the Bugs made in the 1970s, the air that pushed the fluid onto the windshield came from the spare tire?

I didn't either, until I had a flat. And they say German engineering is superior. Huh.


Anyway, about two weeks or so ago, I discovered the windshield washer reservoir was bone dry (in my non-Bug vehicle). I park under a tree, so the windshield is often in need of a good cleaning. I opened the hood to fill up the reservoir. Here's what I found:
The pic shown is not actually from my car. I was way too freaked out to think of grabbing the camera. Eww! A giant nest right on the valve cover! My nest contained fewer leaves, and a lot more insulation that had been on the underside of the hood. But you get the general idea from the pic. Creepy.

The Mister was brave kind enough to remove the nest for me. My hero!

Apparently, a family of mice (I assume it was a family dwelling, it was awfully big for just one mouse) took up residence in my engine compartment. I might have even driven them around a bit.

Funny/creepy to think about, isn't it?

When this same car wouldn't start last week, I wondered if the mice had chewed some wiring. But lucky for me, it was just a faulty alternator.

The car is back on the road, and as far as I can tell from looking under the hood, the mice have found a new home.

I'm considering putting this bumper sticker on my
car.
Or this one.

Do you think mice read these things? Or have I just been watching too many Disney movies?

3 comments:

  1. Eeeew! That would have freaked me out too! Now, I'm going to think about you everytime I go to open my hood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very creepy...I generally like to stay away from all things micey. I'm glad the Mister was able to take care of it for you and hope the little guys have found a much 'nicer' home to dwell in now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Didn't they like burn up or something from the engine heat. I did not need to know this could happen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!