August 27, 2009

Your Assignment, Should you Choose to Accept - 8/27/09

Gee, time flies. It's another shot at Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. This week's prompts:

1.) My animals are making me nuts.
(inspired by Jody from Take Me As I Am).

2.) List the 5 best things about the first day of school.
(inspired by Lane from Sneaky Daddy).

3.) Tell us about your crush.
(inspired by Lisa from Just Lisa, No Filler)

4.) How did you break it?
(inspired by Brandy from Not Your Average Soccer Mom)

5.) Show us a favorite summer craft.
(inspired by Kristin from The Way It Is)

This week, I chose prompt #2.

List the 5 Best Things About the First Day of School
  1. The quiet. My ears will not be assaulted by the shout of "Hey, Mom!" or "I'm starving! What can I eat?". I will NOT have to listen to the commentary for EVERY.DVD.THE.BOY.WATCHES. He expects me to pay attention - he asks me questions about it later.
  2. There's something comforting and pleasing to me to see The Boy dressed in his new clothes and standing at the end of the driveway waiting for the bus to pick him up. It reminds of the days when he ran off in the morning on the way to the car and I'd have to look for him to take him to school; how he used to kick the car door and yell when he got out of the car in the drop off lane - and the startled looks of children and parents alike when they watched my little drama king.
  3. I no longer have to guard the refrigerator from plundering and looting for several hours of the day. I can now go to the bathroom and not strain to listen to him foraging for yet more sustenance to get him through his day. Already, I don't have to make as many trips to the grocery store to replace the food he's devoured in these kitchen raids. (Now he raids the fridge at 4 or 5 in the morning, before The Mister and I get up).
  4. Did I mention the quiet? Oh yeah, I did. I guess I'll add another reason to get to the obligatory five (since I'm all about obedience).
  5. I just LOVE the surly child who returns at 3:00. The one who SCREAMS at me that everyone hates him, he hates everyone, and that he's never going back. This is the same Boy who told me that of course he's angry, all teenagers are angry. Who da thunk it?
  6. Then there's the lovely screaming fit when it's time to do homework, when he threatens to rip up his papers, and break his pencils (he USED to actually do these things, so I see the threats as progress). After his hissy fit, he now sits at the kitchen table and actually does the work. Sweet.

To torment The Boy inform The Boy that I appreciate a good commercial, I show him this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFsTPx5UrbA


Be sure to click over to Mama Kat to see all the other great responses to her prompts!

10 comments:

  1. Now I want to hear his teacher's list of why they are excited to go back to school ;) I, on the other hand, love the quite too. I have a five year old who loves to fill my days with interactive commentary as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so far removed from the first day of school. Now it is college and I am barely aware that it has started...really no different than any other day. But I enjoyed this reminder of the way it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quiet....yes the quiet...its all I really need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you can enjoy more of 'the quiet' this school year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the quiet! Really soak it in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bahahahaha! I would have loved to see him kicking the car door and screaming in the drop off lane. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I love the one about guarding the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so darn lucky to be the recipient of all these hissy fits. I just LOVE tired children when they come home from school.

    BTW, give me a medal. I did not engage in the drama queen's act today and she finally capitulated.

    No swearing all day. I am an amazing woman.

    (But not as amazing as you.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The traffic ... I hate the traffic when school starts! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!