September 26, 2009

Room Service
























I got this cartoon in my e-mail. It's from ReverendFun.com. It got me thinking about all those Gideon Bibles I've seen in hotel room nightstands. Just who puts them there?

Here's what I found out:

The Gideons were started by three traveling businessmen in Wisconsin in 1899. You can read more about Gideons International here.

Scriptures (New Testaments or Bibles) are distributed one by one by members of The Gideons International to these groups:

  • Students in the 5th grade and above
  • Prisoners and police, fire, medical and military personnel
  • Anyone else Gideons witness to individually

Scriptures are placed in certain locations, including:

  • Hotels and motels
  • Hospitals, convalescent homes, medical offices and domestic violence shelters
  • Prisons and jails

The thing I found most interesting is that the Bibles are distributed by individual men (no mention of women on their Web site); they're not bulk mailed or offered on TV (like the devotionals offered by televangelists) - a person had to personally deliver those Bibles to a specific location. Talk about commitment.

And I can't get someone from the phone company to personally deliver ONE copy of the Yellow Pages to me. Instead, they just toss it on the deck, hoping that we'll rescue it before the weather turns bad.

So far, 1.3 billion New Testaments and Bibles have been distributed worldwide. Their goal is 2 billion by the year 2020.

Maybe The Mister can ask them to talk to the state of Missouri about delivering his unemployment check - four weeks now, and it's still missing in action.


4 comments:

  1. God bless the Gideons! And I hope your check arrives soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your husband's check arrives very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've known about the Gideons but some of this is new info -- thank you.

    I hope your husband's check shows up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even in the hotels? They go to each room and put them in????

    And I hope the check got there...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!