September 03, 2009

Your Assignment, Should You Choose to Accept - 9/3/09

It's time for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. This week, I chose prompt #4 - The first day of...

Today is the first day of The Boy's life, post detention. Yesterday, he was clad in a beige jumpsuit, and cuffed and shackled. He shuffled into the courtroom - they had removed his shoelaces. After a short court hearing, he was released to my custody.

He has his next hearing on September 25. He will then plead guilty to three counts of assault in the third degree. If he's well-behaved during this temporary probationary period, the juvenile officer will recommend probation. If not, he faces detention, or placement in a group home.

He is now on 'temporary' rules of probation. I have been instructed to report any bad behavior - if I don't, then I face possible arrest and detention.

I'd prefer not to make this a family affair.

So far, he is contrite and calm. He occasionally mentions something about the two days he spent in captivity. He does not want to go back.

Maybe this is the wake up call he needed. I still think it would have been easier if he would have listened to The Mister and me.

But The Boy has always been the kind of person who needs to learn lessons the hard way.

I hope this lesson sticks.

Please visit Mama Kat to check out the other prompts, and to read all of the witty responses!

12 comments:

  1. wow! good luck with this. im hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right. Maybe he had to learn for himself. If it was that bad in there, then hopefully he will never forget. I am sorry you are going through this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear he is home and behaving! This to shall pass!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for you going through this. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I'm reading part of a much larger story - one that I would get wrapped up in. Sending prayers your direction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some times the best lessons are learned the hardest way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for all of you! Glad The Boy is home and behaving now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone has to learn life lessons for themselves eventually. Some can take the easy route, but some have to go about it the hard way. I hope it sticks and that everything works out for him!

    ReplyDelete
  9. June,
    I has been a week or so since I visited and I was shocked to read your post...I am praying for your and your family...I certainly hope this works out for you guys in the long run. We will be thinking of you.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hang in there, remember to take time for you as you deal with this! It is easy to get caught up in everything else around us, but just set some time aside for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Lord. I feel for you ... I can't imagine this is easy in any way shape or form. I hope that this event helps to get him on the right path ... and I'm hoping you can get through this difficult time. Being a parent isn't easy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!