September 10, 2009

Your Assignment, Should You Choose to Accept - 9/10/09

It's that time of week again to participate in Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop.

This week, I chose prompt #1: What Does Marriage Mean to Me?

I'm taking the easy way out on this one. I'm posting the reading that took place when The Mister and I got married last October.

That's The Mister's original wedding ring - the same ring he accidentally flushed down the toilet at work some ten days after the ceremony. We bought a suitable replacement shortly thereafter.

The Art of Marriage

Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens
A good marriage must be created.

In the art of marriage, the little things are the BIG THINGS.
It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once a day.
It is never going to sleep angry.

It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.
It is at no time taking the other side for granted.

The courtship shouldn't end with the honeymoon,
it should continue through all the years.

It is doing things for each other,
Not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice,
But in the spirit of joy.

It is speaking words of appreciation
And demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.

It is not expecting the husband to wear a halo
Or the wife to have wings like an angel.

It is not looking for perfection in each other.
It is cultivating flexibility, patience and understanding
And a sense of humor.

It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each other can grow.
It is finding room for the things of the spirit.

It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.

It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.
It is not marrying the right partner,
It is BEING the right partner.

It is discovering what marriage can be, at its best,

As expressed in the words of Mark Twain, used in the tribute to his wife:

"Wherever she was, there was Eden."


I think I need to work a little bit on some of these things within my relationship with The Mister. It's so easy to let the everyday nonsense in life take the spotlight from who is most important to you.

I love you, Mister.

For my post about family wedding #2 (which took place yesterday), click here.

Be sure to visit Mama Kat for everyone's response to her weekly prompts!

5 comments:

  1. yours is one of the first posts i look forward to reading each thrusday.

    "the little things are the BIG THINGS". indeed.

    nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crap. I went to sleep angry earlier this week. Actually I was fuming and I was still fuming through 1/2 of the next day. But I'm over it now, so that counts for something, right?

    And double crap. Everything I do for him makes me a martyr. It doesn't? I think I need to rethink some things. Thanks for the post. I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You posted such a beautiful description of marriage. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your description of marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read "The Art of Marriage" at a friend's wedding a few years ago. It's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!