September 17, 2009

Your Assignment, Should You Choose to Accept - 9/17/09

It's Thursday, so it must be time once again for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. This week's prompts:

1.) If You Give A Mom A Moment...
Inspired by Heidi from Sacred And Profane)

2.) What's the message you would craft
(inspired by Heidi from Sacred and Profane after she read this post at Minor Catastrophes)

3.) Your Fall favorites.
(inspired by me)

4.) If your pet could talk, what would you want to know?
(inspired by KK from Kamp KK (but not the KKK))

5.)If you could only focus on three things in life and pursue them fully, leaving everything else, what would they be and why?
(inspired via tweet by Sarah Mae from Like A Warm Cup Of Coffee)


This week, I chose prompt #3, My Fall favorites.

What's not to love about Fall?

I love the crispness in the air, the scent of falling leaves (ok, I guess I'm admitting I like the smell of decay). The vibrant colors of the trees can take my breath away. A nice, sunny Fall day is a bit of perfection.

I like the cooler temperatures. I like planting mums in the pots on the deck.

I LOVE that school is in session. Our entire routine changes; there are very fewer reasons to go anywhere after dinner. The earlier arrival of darkness gets us into a routine of finishing up chores earlier - it's like we're preparing to hunker down for the night.

Halloween is just around the corner - I like seeing all the little kids in their costumes (and am glad that they have their sugar rush at their own homes). I like cutting into that almost perfect pumpkin and carving a silly jack o' lantern (but not so thrilled about shoving my hand into that wet, cold mess o' pumpkin guts).

Fall means the start of the new TV season. I look forward to new episodes of House, and Bones, Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters. Of course all this viewing is contingent upon the whims of the airwaves, as we still are using our cranky antenna. There is no cable or satellite reception in our future at the Cleaver compound.

Fall means heartier dinners. Soups, stews, and winter vegetables. Parsnips and sweet potatoes will once again grace our dinner plates.

Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday, is not far off. I love the idea of cooking for extended family and pausing to remember how blessed we all are (even though things aren't perfect, they ARE still pretty darned good).

I look forward to dragging out my favorite hoodie, and being ready for the chill in the air.

For non-deciduous brilliance, stop on over at Mama Kat's to read this week's responses!

9 comments:

  1. I love to cook at Thanksgiving too! Is my favorite meal of the year to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hoodies! and comfy pants and socks.

    nothing better.

    ww stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to EAT at Thanksgiving, the cooking...not so much!

    Love the crispness of Autum too and the hoodies are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fall also I am so glad the horrid summer temps are over because by fall I am so over the heat

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have several of the same things on our lists. Love Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "love the smell of decay" that is fantastic!

    I'm looking forward to Bones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hearty meals and hoodies - you're my kind of girl. Fall is my favorite, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find it so hard to be unhappy during the fall for all the reasons you wrote about. we have the same loves about this season ... let's enjoy to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great list of fall favorites.

    My response to Mama Kat's writing workshop is HERE.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!