October 09, 2009

The Day I Vowed to Obey (Are You Laughing Yet?)

Today, The Mister and I will celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Our actual anniversary is Saturday, but we decided to do something special today (when The Boy is in school).

What are we doing? I have
no idea. You can see the amount of thought that went into the planning for this auspicious occasion.

I've already thawed out the cake - a Hummingbird cake I baked myself. Our wedding was a low-key event; friends and family and the obligatory officiant, right here in the Cleaver Compound living room. The Mister refers to this room as "the front room" - for some reason, I am reminded of my grandparents every time the old fart he says it.

Since The Mister and I met online (on True.com), we embraced our affection for the internets by streaming the ceremony live via Web cam, so folks who couldn't be here for the festivities could watch the ceremony and mutter "what the hell did they just say?" from the comfort of their own living rooms.

Two local online friends came and helped me get stuff ready for the ceremony - they even got me all gussied up; my hair and
makeup were done by Kathy. I am so NOT a girl; I am clueless about the feminine arts. I still can't operate the hair comb thingies I wore on that day.

We had a lovely balloon arch, thanks to Lila's obsessive-compulsive tendencies (usually practiced in the Lone Star State). Lila's employers made a clerical error - Lila had to return to TX and go to work, so ev
en though she ruled with an iron hand while she was here, she missed the actual ceremony.

Karen displayed her ability to arrange balloons around a plastic frame. She brought a pump to fill the balloons with air - alas, it did not work. I thought I'd never finish blowing up over 100 balloons.

We even had a mystery guest - Brett traveled from TN to help us celebrate our union.

The ceremony was lovely; having our family and friends there to share our day was priceless.

We are now a blended family - between us, six children and six grandchildren (and counting on more grandchildren in the future).

We've had our fair share of challenges, adventures, and laughter this past year.

I'm still working on the 'obey' stuff...I'll let you k
now how that works out. I figure I'll have it worked out in say, twenty or thirty years. Good thing The Mister is a patient fellow, because he's stuck with me.

I love you, Mister. Here's to many more happy years.



10 comments:

  1. Well happy anniversary,, and many, many more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heres to many more years of "obeying"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I'll take a piece of that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwwww...congrats to you and The Mister! Have a ton of fun. Thanks so much for sharing the memories and these Superior Snaps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post. And now I know why we omitted obey from our vows :) Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary and best wishes for many, many more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well happy anniversary! And you guys sound like a modern Brady Bunch!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!