October 12, 2009

H1N1 - Are You Prepared?

Here's the latest CDC press conference (Oct. 6) - it's a half hour long, so get your coffee first:



The news reports are dire, and they're giving everyone the willies about the H1N1 (Swine) flu. The World Health Organization (WHO) have already declared a pandemic.

I don't know about you, but I've been debating whether The Boy should receive the H1N1 vaccine when it is readily available in our area. Just call me June Freaking Skeptic.

So, I thought I visit the source of all things swine flu, the CDC Web site. Here's the map of activity for the US:


As you can see, the flu is widespread in most of the states. As of Oct. 3, here are the statistics of hospitalizations and deaths from flu (H1N1 and seasonal flu):

U.S. Influenza and Pneumonia-Associated Hospitalizations
and Deaths from August 30 – October 3, 2009
Posted October 9, 2009, 11:00 AM ET
Data reported to CDC by October 6, 2009, 12:00 AM ET
Cases Defined by
Hospitalizations
Deaths
Influenza and Pneumonia Syndrome* 12,384 1,544
Influenza Laboratory-Tests** 3,874 240


I know that this flu seems to affect younger people(specifically, those under 30 years of age) more severely than folks over 50. Pregnant women do not fare well with this strain of flu, either. Perhaps we old folks have been exposed to something similar in our lives, and we have some immunity to it. Who knows. They are recommending vaccines for those from six months to 64 years of age.

The Mister and I have no plans to get the vaccine - but I am unsure what to do about The Boy. I'd like to see if the vaccine causes health problems, as it was fast-tracked to production.

I got the swine flu vaccine back in 1976 - the vaccine that killed more people than the flu it was supposed to protect us from. I'd like to think I have healthy amount of skepticism about our government getting their collective panties in a wad about a vaccine.

Currently, the CDC makes the following recommendations for vaccination:

People at greatest risk for 2009 H1N1 infection include children, pregnant women, and people with chronic health conditions like asthma, diabetes or heart and lung disease.

What are you doing to prepare for the flu?
Have you become hand sanitizer Nazis?
Do you constantly remind family members to cough into their sleeves?
Have you cut down on your visits to crowded places?

What are your plans for vaccinating your family?

Visit flu.gov to see flu activity in your state and within your county, and to find locations where you can get vaccinated.

7 comments:

  1. The hospital I'm working at is trying to push the H1N1 vaccine, but I'm kind of leary about it.
    I've heard the things about the 70's vaccine, but I guess I'll wait for a week after the first person gets it to see if anything happens lol.

    I've been a freakin' Nazi when it comes to people coughing around me. My sister thought she had swine flu when I took her to the hospital and I made her put on a mask before I let her in my truck then disinfected it when she got out.
    Turns out, she did have it, but she was lucky enough to be at the end stages and didn't get any major complications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still unsure if I'll get it or not. Although, I'm leaning towards not.

    I've started carrying hand sanitizer in my purse & I'm using it religiously, lol. I'm also taking all of my vitamins & taking a ton of Vitamin C to keep my immune system up. All I can do is hope for the best *fingers crossed*.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole thing makes me nervous. To get the stick or not. We are opting out for our family and I think we're just trying to pretend it isn't real. I think being vigilant about hand sanitizing and the vitamins will be our route.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will not get the h1n1 vaccine for either boys, even though the doc says it could be determental to my youngest because of his prematurity and his lung probs, I would rather chance the flu vs the vaccine causing God knows what....I'll wait for a little more testing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am doing nothing different in regards to this Pandemic. I never get sick, so I never even considered a need to worry....therefore I don't. Might be stupid, but if I ignor it...it'll just go away right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am attempting to not leave my home for any reason whatsoever

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not really doing anything but I am getting my son the shot. I would never forgive myself if something happened to him because I didn't.

    And they taught him at school to cough into his sleeve and he reminds me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!