October 08, 2009

Your Assignment, Should You Choose to Accept - 10/8/09

It's time again to participate in Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. The prompts this week:

1.) What's cooking in YOUR crockpot?
(inspired by Joss from My Irish Twins)


2.) Find your one v
ery favorite picture of Summer and write a poem about it.
(inspired by Mama Kat)

3.) Pay tribute to a favorite blogger! (And while you're at it link up and enter to win an adorable pettiskirt. I want it.)

(inspired by Kacey and Fran from Mayhem And Moxie)

4.) When I look in the mirror...
(inspired by Liz from Loving Mom 2 Boys)


5.) The top ten things I'd rather be doing than having sex with David Letterman
(inspired by Happy Hour Sue from Happy Meals & Happy Hour)


This week, I decided to do more than one prompt.

1. What's cooking in MY crockpot?
I'm not a Crockpot junkie; nor am I a snob. I do cook in it from time to time. I've even attempted making a cake in it (which turned out kinda good, though probably dangerously undercooked); it ended up very chocolatey - always a good thing, and reminded me of a lava cake (with that undercooked gooey consistency).

Here's the Cleaver compound's current Crock
pot cuisine favorite:

To Die For Crockpot Roast (found it on recipezaar.com)

a beef roast, any kind
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package brown gravy
mix, dry
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dried Italian salad dressing mix
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package ranch dressing mix, dry
1/2 cup water

Place beef roast in crock pot.
Mix the dried mixes together in a bowl and sprinkle over the roast.
Pour the water around the roast.
Cook on low for 7-9 hours. You can add your favorite vegetables about halfway through the cooking time (you decide how mushy you want them to be).

4. When I look in the mirror...

I see my 52 year-old face staring back at me, wondering how I will assess myself. Will I be fair? Will I point out flaws that nobody else will notice?

First, I see my brown hair. It is fine in texture, and has a tendency to tangle. As far as style, it has a mind of its own. I wonder why I have no gray; I've certainly earned it.

I see a forehead that is so high and broad that I could sell advertising space...and if one of us doesn't get a job soon, I may resort to it.

I see brown eyes that have seen things great and horrible. I see the laugh lines around those eyes, letting me know that more wonderful things have happened to me than bad things.

I see frown lines, too, that tell me that I have worried too much about things I could not control; calamities I could not prevent, suffering of others I tried my best to allay and, often, failed.

I see eyebrows that tend to run rampant, and need some plucking.

I see skin, unfettered by makeup, that has been
the landing spot of countless kisses. My complexion is pretty good, I don't use any special creams or magic pots of lotions; I remain myself.

I see lips, thinning ever so slightly as I age. Lips that have stretched into many smiles (and many frowns). Lips that have kissed boo boos for children and grandchildren and children who I had the pleasure of babysitting over the decades. Lips that have kissed friends and lovers; that have whi
spered words of encouragement, or said words in anger.

When I smile, I see teeth that need work. Plagued my whole life with soft, fragile teeth, I see a cap in the front, and am reminded of crowns I should have gotten and didn't.

I see a nose that, to me, doesn't need
rhinoplasty. It is clearly not a perfect nose - but it is mine. It holds up my eyeglasses without complaint.

Occasionally (usually at first glance in the bathroom mirror in the morning), the face that stares back at me reminds me of my mother. After that brief assessment, it turns back into my face.

I wash my face, run a brush through my hair, and get on with my day.

Overall, I like what I see.


Please check Mama Kat's
post for all the wonderful responses to these prompts.

13 comments:

  1. i've been looking for a good crockpot recipe...

    and i am reminded once again that i need to make a dreaded appointment to the dentist. :(

    i love the line about "landing spot of countless kisses." good stuff!

    (stopping by from mama kat's.)

    tara on the wander

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the one about landing spots for kisses...

    You have NO GREY HAIR!!! I have toooo many and I'm 41!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great. :) And that roast sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the recipe- and hang in there- I'm 45 and without hair color, I have MUCH more gray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crockpot cooking is the savior of winter time.

    It's nice to know that someone else also thought about the summer/Summer dichotomy in Mama Kat's prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great writing. Great face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait a minute...you are so lucky to not have any grays! I am 30 and have had tons of them since I was 20! Damn genepool

    ReplyDelete
  8. That crockpot recipe sounds delish...I am so passing it on to my man! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The roast sounds yummy! And I'd never in a million believe you are 52! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im going to try your crock pot roast. It sounds good.

    And I LOVE your self-assessment. You are an interesting person -- a valuable asset as a blogger! :)

    Sandra

    p.s. I grew up saying "front room" just like your husband, and at the farm, the room at the front of the house was always called the front room right up until we moved from there 6 years ago. But don't worry I'm not offended that it sounds like that makes me an "old fart"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree...great writing, great face, and great ROAST! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a big fan of dangerously undercooked cakes ... I might have to try that. And I love your self-assessment! : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!