October 22, 2009

Your Assignment, Should You Choose to Accept - 10/22/09

Time again for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop.

This week's prompts are all in homage to the movie, Motherhood, which opens tomorrow.

1.) Create a list of playground dos and don'ts.

2.) Describe what makes you want to live a life with passion.

3.) Write a poem describing who you are and/or who you are not.

4.) Describe how motherhood has changed you?

5.) Describe how you are hoping motherhood will change you?


Being the disobedient sort, I'm going to do prompt #4, but in my own way.

Describe how motherhood has changed you

Motherhood the first time 'round, when I was young and foolish (and nineteen years old), was an overwhelming event. I did it mostly on my own, and lacked confidence that I was doing the right thing.

I call Shannon, my oldest, my "practice" child. She was the first for everything, poor child. She was the initial witness and/or victim of every parenting mistake I made.

I was impatient; I was emotionally stunted.

For her first year, I could only whisper "I love you" in Shannon's ear - I was THAT screwed up insecure.

Authority figures intimidated me. I was sure that all the other moms knew more than I did.

My only example of motherhood was not a positive one, so I sought out other women who behaved as I would like to.

Over the decades, the kids and I have kind of worked this mother/child thing out. Sometimes, it went really well; other times, not so much.

One thing that was consistent through all my inconsistency? My love for my children - the fierceness of it sometimes scared me.

And now? I think I do all right. I don't care what other moms do, and I don't think I'm the worst that's walked the earth, and I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never be voted Mother of the Year.

So I'm not sure if motherhood changed me, or if I just changed my view of what motherhood is.

Oh, and I'm old now, I don't have the energy to have a maternal pissin' match.

But if you're interested in taking me on, my urologist told me I pee like a firehose. Consider yourself warned.

Go see Mama Kat for all the fun and thoughtful responses!

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha I love the end.

    an i think the "i'm not sure if motherhood changed me, or if it just changed my view of what motherhood is" is true. i think it's probably a little bit of both, or at least it has been for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice, honest and refreshing post. None of us will get it perfect...the love is what matters the most!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! You about made me pee my pants with that firehose comment!! So funny...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ending. We all do the best we can with the tools we're given. Some of us are born with a tool belt, others have to go to carpentry school. Me...I went to school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said. And I think that love is the biggest requirement ... the rest you just do what you can as best you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As we dip our big toes in the lake of motherhood, it IS scary and we DO feel incompetent. It's a big damn lake! But we wade and tread through it okay, don't we? Great post and you are so right, it's not about being the mother of the year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!