November 02, 2009

Easy Chicken Quesadillas

The Mister brought home Monterey Jack cheese from the store the other day.

With the thought of wanting to know a bit about what I shove into my face at mealtime, I wanted to know a bit more about Monterey Jack cheese.

Using my mad Google skills, I learned way more than I ever needed to know about the semi-soft white cheese. And now, you too can know more about it than you'd ever need to! (You can thank me later, maybe a comment or two would be a nice way to display how happy you are that I'm teaching you stuff!)

Monterey Jack was supposedly first made by Franciscan monks in what would one day be California, all the way back in the 1800s.

Monterey Jack has less tyramine, so it doesn't cause problems for migraine sufferers.

It melts easily. Just looking at a block of it reminds me of that cheap queso stuff served at Mexican restaurants. I've tried to reproduce that creamy yumminess (is that a word?) a few times, with so-so results.


You can read about the legend of Monterey Jack cheese here. See, the cheese has a legend...first Billy Jack, now Monterey Jack. Coincidence? I think not.

But I'm not making queso today, I'm making Easy Chicken Quesadillas.

Before we get to the recipe, here's a little clip of Billy Jack (warning, cuss words in dialogue):



Ingredients

1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles

1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
6 8-inch flour tortillas
1 cup shredded cooked chicken meat

1 small tomato
, seeded and chopped
2 green onions
, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
butter or margarine
guacamole (for garnish) (optional)

sour cream (for garnish) (optional)

salsa (for garnish) (optional)

Directions

  1. Heat a skillet over low heat.
  2. Spread a small amount of butter evenly over one side of tortilla and place tortilla buttered side down in the skillet.
  3. For each tortilla, sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese over 1/2 of the tortilla and top with chopped chiles, chicken, tomato, green onions, and cilantro.
  4. Fold the other side over the top and press down gently.
  5. Cook quesadilla over low heat 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.
  6. Remove quesadilla from skillet and keep warm on a plate in a low oven (300F).
  7. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
  8. When finished, serve quesadillas cut in three sections (using a pizza cutter works great) and garnished with guacamole, sour cream and salsa, if desired.

3 comments:

  1. I had one of these over the weekend with Monterrey and cheddar....and Italian sausage instead of chicken...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just so happens that I have some of that cheese in my refrigerator. It's destiny, I tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going straight into the kitchen and making this for my lunch. Thanks for the info on Jack cheese. I love learning new facts!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!