November 08, 2009

Sunny Day Sweepin' the Clouds Away

On November 10, 1969, children's television was changed forever.

Monsters became less scary.

An eight foot two-inch bird could learn how to sing the alphabet song.

Sesame Street is 40 years old on Tuesday. The Boy is beside himself about this momentous occasion, as he is a huge Muppet/Jim Henson fan.

A street in NYC will be renamed to honor some of the accomplishments started by Joan Ganz Cooney and the cast of humans and Muppets (and celebrities) who have graced the show over the decades.

The original series has been televised in more than 120 countries, and 25 independent versions have been produced.

The show's format has changed over the years - Tuesday's 40th anniversary issue sports an updated theme song, and features CGI-enhanced characters and Youtube-like video clips.

But the focus is still the same: to introduce young children (ages 2 to 5) to the concepts that they'll need to be ready to go to school.

Here are some classic moments from this class act. Enjoy.









5 comments:

  1. I love Sesame Street! It has always been a children's show that I don't mind my kids watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Puppy enjoyed the clips, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There will never be another Miss Piggy! And Kermit cannot be replaced! Such a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are only 2 children's shows I could ever sit and watch with my kids and that is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sameness and the newness that is in Sesame Street. it is pure genius.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!