November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving Guest of Honor Trivia

Who's the guest of honor at the Thanksgiving table? Why, the turkey, that's who!

Here are some facts I bet you didn't know about Thanksgiving and that plump, pretty poultry:

Thanksgiving facts:
  • Turkeys were first domesticated in Mexico and Central America.
  • The Wampanoag tribe shared the first Thanksgiving with the Pilgrims in 1621.
  • Abraham Lincoln specified the last Thursday in November as a national day of Thanksgiving in 1863.
Turkey facts:
  • Need help cooking your turkey? Call the Turkey Talk-Line at 1-800-BUTTERBALL. Or, check out the TurkeyTalk Podcast here.
  • Do you know what country eats the most turkey each year, per capita? Israel!
  • A female turkey is a hen; the male is known as the tom.
  • The female turkey clucks; the male gobbles.
  • Minnesota is the state that produces the most domestic turkeys.
  • Every year, The President 'pardons' a turkey. That lucky bird retires to a historical farm, and lives out the rest of his life in leisure.
  • Benjamin Franklin wanted the wild turkey to be designated as the National bird.
  • Approximately 92% of all American households eat turkey on Thanksgiving. Maybe turkey should be added to the phrase 'as American as Mom and apple pie'.
  • Fifty percent (50%) of all turkeys served this Thursday will be stuffed.
  • The average size of the main dish we'll be roasting, deep-frying or smoking is 15 pounds. To figure out what size turkey to cook, figure two pounds per adult (you will have leftovers).
  • Turkeys can drown if they look up when it's raining.
  • Wild turkeys can fly. They can burst into flight approaching speeds between 50-55 mph in a matter of seconds. They can run at speeds up to 20 miles per hour.
  • A full-grown turkey has 3,500 feathers; domestic turkeys can't fly.

I bet none of the turkeys appearing looked like this
one:


Glitter is all the rage in Kindergarten, but not down on the farm.


5 comments:

  1. You are the queen of factoids! My goodness. A turkey help line??? I seriously could have used that a couple years ago when it all went so terribly wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about the trypotophan? Don't forget the tryptophan! I groove on the peaceful, easy feeling I have after a filling Turkey Day repast...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought I was the guest of honor...well, I better put on my turkey suit! ~Gorgeous~

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.p.s. I see you're in Missouri...I'm in Kansas. Not far from the MO state line, actually...wondering where you are (and no, I'm not a stalker).

    My hubby was reading about the turkey (Courage was its name) that Obama pardoned today. He thought it was so funny until I told him one turkey is pardoned every year. Sometimes men are so clueless!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!