November 13, 2009

We're Goin' Acourtin'!

This morning, we're headed to court. The court will be setting a trial date for the charges The Boy faced in August (the court set aside his previous guilty plea, as he had no representation).

The attorney has talked to The Boy's psychiatrist, and is convinced that The Boy does not have the capacity to form intent to commit assault - that his disabilities cause him to be unable to have committed the crimes intentionally.

It's all about the impulsive way he reacts when emotions take over.

We're starting a new adventure here with the state of Missouri, and the Public Defender's office. We have an opportunity to change the way the mentally ill are treated by the judicial system. We'll just have to see how it goes.

4 comments:

  1. I really hope your new adventure ends well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you point me in the direction of the post I missed where the boy unintentionally committed a crime!?!

    My goodness woman, you must have a lot on your plate right now...or always. I hope everything turns out okay!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!