November 19, 2009

Your Assignment, Should You Choose to Accept - 11/19/09

It's time again for the hijinx served up at Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. The prompts for the week:


1.) A Thanksgiving to be remembered...

2.)Describe the most destructive thing your pet has done.

3.) Describe in 1000 words or less a time when something happened and you knew that life would never be the same.

4.)Share a diary entry from when you were 13...feel
free to make one up! Oh, let's not re-live THAT hormone-infused time!

5.)Describe a moment you felt embarrassed by your parents. Oh, let's not bring up stuff best left in days of therapy last...


I decided to do prompt #1 today.

A Thanksgiving to remember...


It was cold that Thanksgiving day - cold enough to snow, with clouds that looked competent enough to dump a pile of the wet stuff on us. As we left the hospital that morning, I was glad to be getting into our car with the fully-functioning heating system, and looking forward to eating the first Thanksgiving dinner I hadn't had to clean or cook for.


Our turkey that year? Only five pounds, five ounces of loveliness. Forget the oven, I was sure I could have just eaten her up just the way she was. My daughter, Shannon, then two and a half, wasn't too sure about the turkey - I think she preferred something with a little more meat...and wished there was a hot dog on the menu.

We took her to my parents' house, tightly
wrapped in a pink blanket knitted by my Aunt Dorothy. The preparations for the meal were already in full swing; the signature smells of Thanksgiving permeated the air.

The turkey was gladly inspected by my mom and dad, and was pronounced "perfect". An hour or so later, the relatives arrived, and dinner was enjoyed by all.

And the turkey that year? She had nothing
to say of the festivities.

The turkey?

She turns 31 tomorrow. Happy Birthday, E
rin!

Stop by Mama Kat's to read all the great responses!


13 comments:

  1. My #1 was born very close to Thanksgiving as well. We actually took him on his first post birth outing to my parent's house for Thanksgiving. I remember that he screamed both ways (2hrs of screaming) and I thought that things better get better or I was gonna have a hard time being thankful. He is an awesome just turned eight year old now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Happy Birthday to your sweet baby girl! I loved your post. You wrote this so cleverly! I always love coming to read what you have written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last Thanksgiving my boss had a table full of family and friends. They made a big to-do about how great the turkey would be and finally brought out a covered dish and revealed with great flair....a cornish game hen the size of your fist. "Due to the recession, the Turkey has been downsized." I thought it was a hilarious joke. Of course they brought out the big bird before there was an uprising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the creative turkey spin on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, that is too cute! Last year, I left the hospital the night before Thanksgiving, and had our new little turkey as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Erin from another Erin!

    I am stopping by from Mama Kat's McLinky and wanted to check out your blog---I am in love with your blog title!!! So I had to come visit.

    And I'm your newest follower. I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Erin!

    That was a cute story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aweeee, amazing memory! And incredibly sweet story!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww so adorable! What a fun story! Happy Birthday Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww! What a wonderful "turkey!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, I love it! Happy Birthday to your turkey.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!