December 03, 2009

Your Assignment, Should You Choose to Accept - 12/03/09

It's time again for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. Go here to check out all the prompts and responses.

The prompt I chose?


Verse by verse, dissect a favorite song you had in 7th grade


Damn, I'm old. I'm dating myself here. The year? 1970. The song that made the girls' hearts melt at the 7th grade dance?

Hey There Lonely Girl, by Eddie Holman

Hey there lonely girl, lonely girl
Let me make your broken heart like new
Oh, my lonely girl, lonely girl
Don't you know this lonely boy loves you

Ever since he broke your heart you seem so lost
Each time you pass my way
How I long to take your hand
And say don't cry, I'll kiss your tears away
Hey there lonely girl, lonely girl
Let me make your broken heart like new
Oh my lonely girl, lonely girl
don't you know this lonely boy loves you

You think that only his two lips can kiss your lips
And make your heart stand still
But once you're in my arms you'll see
No one can kiss your lips the way I will
Hey there lonely girl, lonely girl
Let me make your broken heart like new

Oh, my lonely girl, lonely girl
Don't you know this lonely girl loves you
Oh my lonely girl, lonely girl
Don't you know this lonely boy loves you


Watch the video. See the former 7th grade girls in the audience, singing along, thinking of the angst of lost and/or unrequited love in their own stuffy auditorium on dance nights.

What thirteen year old girl didn't want a boy who would sweep her into his arms and kiss that loneliness away?

And near the end? Watch Eddie Holman thank the Lord above - probably because he hit all those high notes without giving himself a hernia.



Be sure to check out all the other prompts and responses at Mama Kat's...you'll be glad you did.

6 comments:

  1. I remember that song too. MamaKat is a lot of fun, isn't she? If nothing else, the topic ideas are a big help too! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So just how twitty would it be to say - thanks for making me feel young?? lol Just kiddin! Sounds like a very sweet song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure I knew the song but as soon as it started playing I recognized it, lol. He has quite the high voice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly and Oldie but a Goodie...every time I hear that song I think of the movie Pretty in Pink, for some reason. I know, I'm crazy. Two completely different decades!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow, I don't think it's only the 13 year olds who wanted to be swept off their feet. I remember having that fantasy for years and years after that! And now I have this song going through my head. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!