January 18, 2010

Can a Female Win a Pissing Contest?...Round One

The definition I found for pissing contest -any argument that just goes back and forth between two individuals but never gets resolved.

Our recent trip to court resembled such a contest. We were summoned to court on a motion that required The Boy to get yet another psychological evaluation (this in preparation for his trial in February).

For those of you who don't know why we're going to trial, you can read about the initial unpleasantness here, and the followup here.

Anyway, the prosecutor requested the evaluation by the court's school psychologist. An evaluation consists of the administration of psychological tests (I will also meet with the psychologist, and fill out some paperwork, too).

The Boy has had numerous evaluations in the past. I'm not sure why his latest report wasn't sufficient to allow the prosecution to determine The Boy's issues.

The Boy's public defender was not in favor of the evaluation. One of her concerns is that the psychologist will focus on The Boy's actions that led to his arrest, in order to bolster the prosecution's case.

There was quite a heated discussion about autism (and the definition of autism); the judge, at one point, told the prosecuting attorney to cool down.

The most frustrating comment of the hearing (at least to me)? "You sure are spending a lot of time for just a few misdemeanors". That was from the judge. He admitted that he knows little about autism - and he expressed his concern that the psychologist would contradict everything that The Boy's psychiatrist says about his condition.

The evaluation takes place this Thursday at some unknown location and at some unknown time (at least unknown to me).

Depositions have been taken, subpoenas have been sent out. All for a couple of misdemeanors - and just maybe, a change in how our county treats juveniles with underlying mental illness or neurological problems (which, at least to me, IS a big deal).

Be ready for Pissing Contest, Round Two next month.


7 comments:

  1. Court proceedings are FRUSTRATING and increase blood pressure. Something that should be so obvious isn't. It's amazing. My experience has been shoved nicely and neatly into my subconscious rearing its head only when I want to have a stroke.

    Oh, I'm sorry. Was I supposed to be supportive?

    It will all be okay. Really. Just take your own estimate of how long it should take and times it by 8.

    I'll have my kids pray for you. God listens to their prayers, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be patient. I'm no lawyer, but sounds like you might be able to win that judge over. And if I were the prosecutor, I'd stay out of your way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the judge is willing to keep an open mind.

    Just drink a lot before the next hearing so you have lots of piss in ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? Really? This sounds insane to me. What the hell is the matter with people? They don't have any better way to spend local dollars, time and resources?

    Good luck with all that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hope things work in The Boys favor at the hearing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you might have some hope with this judge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really hope things work out for the best. I have a friend who lost her job because her student did something similar. She is so upset because she knows the student has autism, has issues reining in some emotions, etc, was totally fine with HER because she knew him well enough to gauge things, but the actual teacher didn't. She really did not want to see him go.

    I am still catching up on your blog since I just became a follower, so if I spoke out of turn, I apologize!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!