January 02, 2010

We've Taken on a Squatter!

On New Year's Eve, I went out the back door to stand on our little stoop and sneak a smoke gaze at the blue moon (we had two full moons during the month of December), and was happy scared shitless to see that we have a new tenant at the Cleaver compound. Meet Didelphis Virginiana (or Del, for short)!


This is not his/her actual picture, as all I saw as he/she scurried underneath our shed was the rat-like semi-prehensile tail. Then I smelled the faint stink of the fluid Del secretes from its anal glands. Think skunk, but not as intense.

I am confident that this squatter is the reason Eddy, our cat, runs the window sill jumping marathon some evenings, going from living room to kitchen to bedroom window sills when she hears the trespasser enter our yard.

And I know I've heard some critter pawing around in our trash cans at night - and have picked up the litter that's been discarded after the cans have been raided for food.

I've actually seen Del a few other nights; one evening the critter almost climbed the steps onto our deck (while I again was "stargazing")...lucky for me, I am a noisy constellation watcher, and the opossum took off under the deck instead. I know I would have needed a wardrobe change had the critter actually come up onto the deck with me (and who the heck needs more laundry?).

After reading the info I found on the National Opossum Society, I should probably go introduce myself and offer our new tenant some cat food as a welcome to the neighborhood. The more I read, the more I think that our opossum friend and I might get along famously.

Here's what they say about the opossum: They
hiss or growl and show their 50 sharp teeth when frightened; but, in reality, they are gentle and placid— they prefer to avoid all confrontations and wish to be left alone.

Just like me, except I have fewer teeth.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds sweet - minus the teeth, hissing and smell. Are you going to keep it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you feed this one will more little friends come visit you too? Im not so sure I would want it hanging around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When there is one, isnt there 20? Hopefully not..and hopefully your squatter is the nice one of the bunch. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yuck...smelly hissing animals and I dont get along

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!