January 06, 2010

Your Assignment, Should You Choose to Accept - 1/7/10


Once again, it's that time of the week for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. This week's prompts:

  1. Describe what you would change about yourself if you could.
  2. Book Review! What children’s book do you hate reading to your child? (inspired by E. from Mommy’s Still Fabulous)
  3. What do you predict will happen this decade? (You can be funny or serious if you like). (inspired by Christopher from CaJoh)
  4. Choose the 7th picture you took from last January and write a poem.
  5. Write about a heated argument you had with your parents (real or fictitious) (inspired by Writer’s Digest).
I decided to go with prompts #1 and #2 today.

#1. I Feel a Change Comin' On...Or Not
(title thanks to Bob Dylan)

Change is good. Change is constant. Change is scary. We don't like it. We avoid it. Yet it becomes necessary to make changes in our lives in order to grow as human beings. And that sucks.

Of course, I'd like to think that I'm perfect, and there is not a thing I would change. But then I'd need to check into an inpatient unit and have my medication adjusted, as that would be just plain delusional on my part.

And if you read this, you can see some of the things I'd change about my physical selfto become a highly paid stripper.

I've decided to talk about a habit I'd die without like to change: Procrastination.

I am a Procrastinator, with a capital P. And to add insult to injury, I am lazy. So not only do I not want to do something, I don't want to do it NOW.

I don't want to do it LATER, either.

But since I have to choose, later always wins.

I justify my procrastination with my love of a deadline. I love the adrenaline rush, I like to see that I can get something done in record time (and I get weak-kneed thinking about all the lovely time I wasted before I buckled down and got the stupid job done).

Didn't I give birth to lackeys children to do menial tasks? And ya know what burns a whole in my gullet? Just when I get the kids trained, when they are taking care of themselves and doing my bidding - they grow up and move out, the ingrates!

They just didn't understand that after I was in labor to have them, I moved to management.

There's snow to be cleared tomorrow...and if you drive by, I'll be the boss leaning on the shovel.

Or maybe I'll just wait for the Spring thaw.

#2. What children's book do you hate reading to your child?

I hate repetition. Big time. Even in music. If I'm driving and a song is on that has repetitive lyrics or melody, I drive faster (thinking I'll get to the end of the song sooner that way). Yeah, I know...why don't I just change the station? Cuz I don't want to.

I am aware that children improve their memory by repetition. And I agree - it works. God knows I can't get the stories out of my head after all these years!

Here are two children's books I always dreaded reading to my kids:

The House that Jack Built, and even worse, There Was an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly - because the little imps would want to sing that one.

Here is one repetitive children's song that I can tolerate (I think because it's SO annoying, it's funny):



Lambchop is cuter than a button, no?

Please stop by Mama Kat's for all the fun! You'll be glad you did!

6 comments:

  1. One children's story I refuse to read to Seth is "Jack and the Beanstalk." I don't like the lesson of the story. A boy goes against what his mother says, climbs up a stalk SEVERAL times after his mother said no, steals several items from a giant, then comes out on top when he kills the giant and becomes rich(well, at least the version we have.) I think it teaches little ones to not listen to mother and come out on top...such a horrible story. Seth should know that his gorgeous mother is always right...like his grandpa...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I are identical twins, really! I am a lazy procastinator though I excell with a deadline. I never complete a teask until right before the deadline buzzer goes off. I have had dreams of being a stripper and then a brick falls on my head. Both of those childrens books drive me crazy and Lmab CHop was one of my favorite shows to hate. So thanks for posting for me today, now I can go and waste somemore time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Lamp Chop, it was the greatest ever! Now kids have Yo Gabba Gabba and I hate that show...I wish Lamp Chop was still around. I don't have kids yet but I got to go through all the kids stuff when my little brother was born.

    And the fact that your drive faster in hopes of reaching the end of the song faster...hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a procrastinator at best, as well. WHICH is, by the way, the reason I wrote my post for WW today, too. I'm going to get better. It's my goal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to poke forks in my ears over the old woman who swallowed a fly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow Lambchop missed the Son's radar growing up (thank heavens).

    One book that I enjoyed reading but couldn't read to the Son was the original Grimm's Fairy Tales - it was just too scary and horrific to read to a tot before bed.

    And I'll go with prohibiting any story/nursery rhyme that can be sung.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!