February 15, 2010

And You Can Quote Me on That

I'm playing along (my first time) with Supahmommy and MommyBrain on their "And You Can Quote Me on That" meme today, the purpose of which is to type a quote, and tell why it is your favorite.

My favorite quote is:  

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. -- Mark Twain

This quote is also attributed to Abraham Lincoln and Samuel Johnson - either way, three very smart fellas!

You'd never know it from my blog, but I am a shy observer in social situations. I like to stand far from the crowd and just watch what's going on, and listen to the conversation (not in a stalking, eavesdropping kind of way, mind you). I prefer not to be the center of attention; I have to "warm up" to the crowd before I leave my post on the periphery.

If I were to ever attend a blogging conference, you'd find me sitting against the wall, or in the corner. If anyone else was in my vicinity, I'd be regaling them with softly spoken mumbled smartass comments about the loud conversation coming from the center of the room. Our corner would be filled with laughter. Hopefully, one of my fellow wallflowers does not guffaw so loudly as to draw attention to me!

After some time at my post, when I'm feeling safe and secure like, I'd venture out and speak to a few of the folks in the middle of the room, the ones who seemed to be too popular to ever give me the time of day - the same ones who would forget I existed as soon as I walked away approachable and friendly. 

By the end of the weekend, I'd be gregarious and friendly, and wonder why I wasted the first day or so being too afraid to speak...that's when I'd remember my quote.

Then I'd go home all smug and stuff.

Who'd be the fool then? 

Oh yea, me. Never mind.

9 comments:

  1. I try to tell myself all the time...Keep your mouth shut! Maybe this is why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am EXACTLY the same way in social situations. I'd be right there next to you ... not talking to you, of course, but scoping everything out. Then if you said something smart-ass, I'd laugh and say something too and that would be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGoodness this is a great quote. I love it and think I am going to post it for my kids:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, sometimes it's a good thing to be introspective for a time. I imagine all those bloggy seminar/convention thingys are full of a lot of caffeinated individuals. Read, over-gregarious. Ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If awake, I, too, am over-caffeinated. But gregarious? Only in my dreams. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OHHHH i am SOOOOO going to a bloggy convention now.. just to prove you wrong. LOL!!

    I remember everyone i meet !!! I'm coming for ya wallflower!!!!! Cuz I'd be in the middle.. not cuz im popular... but cuz im LOUD and laughy !!

    AND THEN I'd come sit by you. ;)

    xoxo
    supah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Surprisingly, most of us bloggers ARE the quiet and shy. I think this is just where we have found our voice.

    When I say, "WE" I actually don't mean me. Shy and quiet are two words never to be used about me.

    On the other hand, I find this to be a little like my alter-ego. I love having people read my blog but not people I know in real life. I share different things on my blog than I do in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would describe myself exactly the same way. In person around those I dont know I am definitely the quiet observer. I like to get a "feel" for people first

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'd have to fight me for that wallflower space at the beginning and the "biggest fool" award at the end. I'd do exactly what you're saying you would do :-)

    What great insight!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!