February 18, 2010

February Schmebruary - A Picture, A Story: Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop 2/18/10

It's Thursday, so it must be time for Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. The prompt I chose this week:

Open your picture folders…find a random “February” picture from a past year and tell a story.

Since obedience is not my strong suit (much to the dismay of The Mister), I put a June Freaking Cleaver spin on the prompt.

This picture is NOT from February. Even if I didn't know when it was taken, I would almost bet that it was not taken in February.

February sucks. Even though it is the shortest month for the rest of you humans inhabiting the planet (and those currently working on the International Space Station), February has, since 2002, been a long, arduous journey ending in madness for us. We have had Februarys without innocent smiles, without much laughter (unless it was of the maniacal variety).

February is The Boy's Lost Weekend, the time when his Bipolar disorder is in full swing. When he was first diagnosed at age six, and in first grade, he had his first mental hospital admission on February 11. The following year? February 11. 

Let's just all agree that Bipolar disorder can be cyclical, ok? Out of his seven hospital admissions, five of them were due to some aberration in behavior or mood that was taking place in February. 

He missed Valentine's parties at school three different years. He wanted to jump out of windows, or out of moving cars. In third grade, he wrote all of his spelling sentences one week about ways to kill himself.

He's been locked up, drugged to zombie status before visitation, and kept sleep-deprived to allow an EEG to check for seizure activity. New trials of medications caused him to gain seventeen (17) pounds in a single February; other medications caused hand tremors so severe he couldn't eat a Slush Puppy/Icee with the straw/scoop without dumping all of it down his shirt. 

February has been like a ride to Hell in a Yugo...on roads with railroad tracks and potholes.

And just when I think I can't survive another dark, cold February, I look at this picture...


or this one:
 





And I think of our sweet granddaughter, Jordyn, born on Groundhog's Day.

I wouldn't wish February away after all. 

And the pics? The first, taken in November, maybe seven years ago, at Erin's birthday dinner. A time when I had short, highlighted hair...fewer wrinkles, and a lower number on the bathroom scale. I think I should totally go back to hair with bangs.
The last two? Taken this past August, at Erin's wedding.

Please be sure to stop at Mama Kat's to check out all the prompts and the great responses!

Note: I do NOT receive any compensation for my endorsement of Mama Kat...I just wish I did.

14 comments:

  1. So glad Feb now has a new meaning for you! And it's a happy thought of Feb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my blog. I left some sunshine for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FEBRUARY SUCKS!! It is a horrible, long, tedious month. Everyone is cranky and just wants sunshine back. No more snow. Trips to the beach. And here we are ... stuck in February. Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind February too much, there's good and bad in every month. I'm glad you have something to brighten up your February now, it sounds like you needed it.

    Last February I escaped grey Scotland for some serious sunshine, it's amazing how the sunshine can make you feel so much brighter.

    Hope the remainder of February is filled with sunshine for you and not many troubles.
    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a lot your boy has been through in life...and you right there along with him as his biggest advocate. I hope February becomes brighter for you both

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one tough Mama. Wow! I can agree. Your Februarys kinda suck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from Mama Kat's…

    So glad to know that you have survived the bad February and can look forward to the good February.

    Thank you for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's interesting. I wonder why February. I'm glad you and he are able to get through it though. And your granddaughter is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son is a groundhog's day baby too! And I understand somewhat. My dad had bipolar...it's rough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That must be very hard for you both. I'm sorry. But it's great you are looking at February with a brighter perspective now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow ... I'd dread Feburary too ... but I'm glad a lovely little lady is helping to turn that around for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you know you can count on a huge mood swing in mid-October (the bad part of the cycle) and a swing about the middle of March (this is close enough and usually a manic swing)?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Musing Mom,
    Oh yes. Thanksgiving through March are the bad times each year. It's as if he's reborn each April. Sometimes I wish school was in the summer, perhaps it would be less chaotic for him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. aww I'm glad February is good now

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!