March 18, 2010

Mama Kat's Writers' Workshop - Just Another Day in the Tundra

It's Thursday, and time again to play along with Mama Kat. The prompt I picked this week:

Could a routine become interesting through words?  Write about a person (perhaps you) caught up in a daily routine.  Establish a rhythm with the story’s words that impersonates the rhythm of the routine.

First, note the silence when you walk outside on the concrete stoop. All sound is muffled; the white world before you looks as if you stepped out on a cloud.

Next, you notice the chill air. You feel the air as it fills your lungs, grateful for the coat, hat, gloves and boots.

Now, the task at hand.

Grasp the shovel. Use the blade to attack your target.

Feel the weight of the first shovelful, experience the momentary feeling of exhilaration as you throw that shovelful in what used to be your well-manicured lawn.

Another shovelful, and another. The pile grows. But there is much to be accomplished.

Your breath, now more shallow and rapid. Your heart beating faster, cheeks turning ruddy, whether from cold, increased blood flow, or the frigid wind, you aren't sure. 

The only sounds you hear is your pulse in your ear, and the scrape of the blade against the blacktop.

You find your rhythm - reach, lift, throw. Reach, lift, throw. Panting from exertion, yet feeling satisfied that you're making progress.

Then you turn around...


And see one hundred and fifty square feet of snow-covered driveway left, and another six inches of snow in the forecast.

 

11 comments:

  1. Ohh I remember that silence and almost the agony of defeat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! I know that feeling - or at least my husband does. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't miss shoveling snow...one of the joys of apartment living!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt like I was out there with you. You need a snow blower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would it bother you to know I had to turn my AC on yesterday?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photo and lovely post. It's in the low 90s/upper 80s here - AC is on but I feel your pain having to shovel and shovel and shovel (well, you get my drift...). Happy 4 days before your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,
    Thanks for the early birthday greeting....you're a month early!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh, Winter. What are we gonna do with you?

    (I have no reason to complain. It's gorgeous out today. But the memory is still very fresh.)

    Pet peeve: being out of breath in the cold. It HURTS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah - see what happens when one is 93 - my brain cells are fading fast. Or maybe it's dealing with all my students and dealing with our current March to save California's educational future (I'll be joining the marchers and walking during Spring Break). Thanks for joining them on Facebook - check out the site - your photo is always showing up upon "fans".

    ReplyDelete
  10. This just took me back to a bad bad place. I'm now rocking on the floor saying "It is over now. It's spring. It is over now. It's spring."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!