March 28, 2010

The Past Two Days in Blogger Hell

As you can see, I've "renovated" my blog home. 

In the past 36 hours, I've:
  • cursed
  • pondered
  • viewed the source of blogs that have features I want (is this cheating?)
  • read a lot of blog tip sites (Thank you, Blogger Buster)
  • looked at oodles of backgrounds and templates
  • played with more gadgets and widgets than I ever knew existed (just what is the difference between a gadget and a widget, anyhow?)
I finally settled on a background from Hotbliggityblog, and a template from Falcon Haven.
(Is it weird that I settled on two separate elements here?)

The Mister, who has a degree in Computer Science was marginally helpful (go figure). I think he wanted to see if I could figure it out.

AND I DID!

It probably took me much longer than some folks, but I think I finally got everything to work.

  • I have tabs now! (I still have to update 'My Favorite Blogs', but the rest are falling into place nicely).
  • You can print individual posts!
  • I got the post date to appear in a font that wasn't as big as all outdoors!
  • The postmark feed link at the top actually goes to Google Reader...woohoo!
  • I recreated the LinkedWithin stuff I had before. 
  • And the problem that started ALL of this customization? My Blogger navigation bar disappeared when I uploaded the new template. However would I post new posts, or read blogs from my dashboard? What a travesty! I let some site tell me how to fix it figured out how to regain the navigation bar, all by myself! Aren't you proud?
During this XML and HTML-induced frenzy, I neglected the following chores:
  • Laundry
  • Meal preparation
  • Housecleaning
As soon as I can tear The Mister away from HIS computer, I'll hop on PhotoShop and become a button-making fool!

All in all, I'd say it was a successful weekend!

Hope you think it was worth the effort!

13 comments:

  1. GO YOU!

    You're my hero.

    Fabulous job.

    I've been researching 'button making' for quite some time and have only earned some glazed over eyes. AND a couple of headaches. Even from the super-dumbed-down tutorials.

    The template stuff just makes me want to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! I think all the effort was worth it. I do a blog redesign once a year and it is always a major pain in the butt!!! But I think you done good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you! I actually take the navigation bar off of all my blogs lol and one of my blogs is all about blog tips (Blog Love) in case you didn't know that already :) I love this new look! It's really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, I also tell you how to make a button on that site I told you about in my last comment...if you don't already know how :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. woo hoo! good job! I am far too lazy to undertake such a task right now!
    It looks great, so laundry can always wait right? : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! I know what you mean, I just redid my entire blog last weekend and I did it all by myself. Took me a solid 3 days too! Blog Buster was my friend too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I am wanting to do a nav bar at the top but haven't figured it out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job! Love the new lay out, absolutely awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. You did that in only two days? I finally reverted back to old blogger template and found they have buttons now.

    Trying to figure it all out still makes me throw up in my mouth, just a little bit, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog! Great job.

    Maybe I'll be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am proud of you but man am I tired just thinking about what you went through! It turned out very nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always spend way too much time/energy on blog design. I know just enough to be dangerous...and definitely copy code from other sites (definitely not cheating).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!