March 10, 2010

Women's History Month - What Woman Do You Admire?

The Boy's homework assignment last night: Interview a woman in your life. It's Women's History Month (I didn't even know such a month existed). The Library of Congress has a Web site detailing this year's theme: Writing Women Back into History.


The Boy interviewed me...sweet, huh?


The question I liked best?

What woman do I admire? Why?

I immediately thought of Eleanor Roosevelt. I posted before of my grandparents, and how their lives were transformed when they moved to a homesteading community in Pennsylvania - a community named Norvelt, after Eleanor herself. Here's a link to a story about Norvelt's 75th anniversary, which was held last year.

The First Lady even came to the dedication.


 Eleanor (in dark hat) at a house in Norvelt

Why do I admire her? For my grandparents, and the other 200 plus families who moved to Norvelt in the mid-1930s (just one of several such communities created as part of the New Deal), Eleanor Roosevelt represented hope - it was a hand UP, not a handout. 
 
This was not a Depression-era bailout. Folks were required to work, and work they did. Each tract of land included a grape arbor, a chicken coop and a garage. Agricultural agents came with seeds, and taught the residents how to grow their own food. They paid rent each month (with the option to buy in the future); they worked in a sewing factory erected to enable the displaced coalminers and others earn a living.
 
 
 
Eleanor Roosevelt spent the majority of her life supporting homemakers, uplifting the downtrodden, and improving human rights for countless people. She changed the lives of my grandparents, my mother, my aunts and uncles.

What woman (or women) do YOU admire? What woman will we be writing back into history here?

5 comments:

  1. A great post and a great choice... who do I admire? hmmm... food for thought for me today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eleanor Roosevelt would definitely be a top pick for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always dug Eleanor. I mean she was sooo in charge during a time when women just weren't. I also admire Frida Kahlo, Diane Arbus and my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love it when they want to interview you? I always did ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! We have our own month. Don't you think they should notify us about it though?

    I love that the Boy interviewed you (how touching ... or just how convenient!) and what a great choice you made!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!