April 25, 2010

The Boy Does the Special Olympics!

As I posted before, The Boy has been training for Special Olympics. Well, Saturday, that training paid off. He attended the regional swim meet - he and  his whole team did a marvelous job! Heck, EVERY athlete did a great job!


The gorgeous Tammy, Frank and Seth came to cheer the teams on. They suffered through the hot, humid air in the pool area (which I think was a full 30 degrees hotter than the temperature outside).


The Boy was not all that thrilled to go to the event - he'd much rather have gone to the National Day of Puppetry festivities. But his big, mean mommy made him honor his commitment to his coaches.

The Boy was also quite nervous about competing. He said he couldn't do it, that it was just "too much". But his big, mean mommy told him that I was sure he could do this.

Here's a pic of The Boy, before he competed. Doesn't he look happy and excited to be there?


Doesn't he resemble Sam the Eagle?



Here's Seth offering encouragement:

 
We watched kids and adults who could barely walk attempt to swim half the length of the pool (they all made it). All the athletes and spectators and legions of volunteers cheer for EVERY participant...they are all winners. 

Watching that event and the pool walk event brought tears to my eyes (and some streaming down my face) - every single athlete gave it their all; every athlete, despite their mental and/or physical challenges, made it to the end of their race. 

They exemplified the motto of Special Olympics: Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.

A pic of The Boy, during the backstroke (you can see his arm up out of the water):


 Here's a picture of The Boy after he competed:


The Boy received a gold medal for the 25-meter freestyle event, and a silver for 25-meter backstroke for his efforts.


Here's a pic of teammate Caleb (who rocked in the freestyle), their coach, and The Boy:



The Boy, after receiving his second medal from a policeman:




The Boy commented that now he has a reason to like the police. Let's hope that trend continues.

10 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I've been to the Special Olympics a few times when I lived in Oklahoma and it was always so inspiring! The Boy did great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great!! Way to go! This also brings a tear to my eye, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! It was great to see those pictures! Good job to The Boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew the RED TORPEDO Could do it. Congrats Daniel on a job well done. And please dont ever look like the Eagle Muppet again you are way to handsome... Love your friend Krazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to giggle at Sam the Eagle reference! :) I am so glad he did so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to The Boy! And his awesome mom! Great post, Miss June!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wway to go Boy! We were all cheering you on and knew you could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is amazing! So glad to hear he did so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All right!!! Go, The Boy, Go! You rocked it!

    I'm glad Big Mean Mommy made him do it!

    And that one photo was just too classic ... he does look like the Eagle Muppet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, he did a great job! This is such a great post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!