April 04, 2010

Easter at the Cleaver Compound

Another family holiday at the Cleaver compound. Good food, family fun and just a bit of emotional turmoil - who could ask for more?

Des, Nate and Eli spent the night Saturday, and The Mister took them to their church for some planned activities Easter morning.

While they were gone, I wondered if The Mister was going to return to help me goofed off as long as I could got started on preparing our meal, as we were planning to have lunch at 2pm.

On the menu? 

I know that a major holiday is not when one usually tries new recipes, but I'm a moron rebel like that.

The ever gorgeous Tammy (she makes me call her that) prepared a lovely salad. Her picture harkens back to the happy homemaker of the 50s, doesn't it?


Saturday, I baked a chocolate chip cookie cake - in an approximate shape of an egg, cuz I'm festive like that. And I substituted some wild colored M&Ms for the chocolate chips (the bag said the colors were Va Va Va Bloom). It had been predetermined that son-in-law Frank would decorate said cookie, since you all know I am a Wilton class dropout, and faint at the sight of pastry bags.

Ok, I don't actually faint - let's chalk that detail up to my penchant for hyperbole.

Here's Frank starting his masterpiece (his maiden Wilton decorating experience) Note that he is even wearing a pretty apron:


The finished product:



Here's Seth, ever so stylish in his hip new haircut and church clothes (the outfit was changed following a toxic waste dump kind of diaper). 


 Des, not wanting to be photographed:



Nate, chilling out and sporting his Justin Beiber-like hairdo.


 Here are the grandkids after a successful Easter egg hunt. I'm so glad I'm not the one who has to get the little ones to sleep tonight, as an overabundance of sugar was consumed by all.




The Boy had a bit too much interaction with kids today, and had a meltdown. There seems to be some disagreement about whether missing lunch is reason to have a second plate of food, too. And apparently, spending 30 consecutive hours with family is over his limit. He got back with the program after a couple of time outs.

All in all, it was a great day. Let's do it again next year, shall we? But next year? More chocolate, less in the way of verbal outbursts, ok?

5 comments:

  1. wow that cookie cake looks amazing!!!
    Lol my mom is nuts... my son was all hyped up on snickers and reeses and she let him spend the night (on a work night) lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the kids are so beautiful, even if they don't want to be photographed! And that cookie looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cookie does look great and by looking at the pictures it looks like a good time was had by all - a successful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cookie does look great and by looking at the pictures it looks like a good time was had by all - a successful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How totally fun! The cake looks awesome :) Watching the grandkids Easter egg hunt is so much better than when my kids were young...no mess for me LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!