April 19, 2010

Pineapple, I Mean, Peach Upside Down Cake

I am now back on the June Freaking Cleaver stay-at-home merry-go-round!

It was time to get back into the kitchen and bake.

I found a great Pineapple Upside Down Cake  from Cassie at Howtoeatacupcake. It rocked! The taste of the cake reminded me a bit of sugar cookies; the brown sugar topping had just the right amount of sweetness.

I didn't take a picture of the pineapple version - it didn't last very long.

Yesterday, I decided to make the same cake recipe, but I used canned peaches instead of pineapple.

Here's a pic of the cake after we all tore into it - it was a hit. I have absolutely no skills in lining up wedges of fruit. When I make this next time, I'll use two 15-oz cans of peaches. And I'll get the peaches in heavy syrup to kick up the flavor a notch.

Next on my baking agenda? I have a birthday this week, I'll be making two cakes for the cake and ice cream sundae bash we're having Friday evening.



Here's the recipe for the pineapple version:
 
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake (from "Southern Cakes" by Nancie McDermott)
Makes 1 9" or 10" round cake

Pineapple Topping
One 20-ounce can pineapple rings, with their syrup or juice
4 tbsp cold butter
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
10 maraschino cherries

Cake
1½ cups all purpose flour
¾ cup sugar
1½ tsp baking powder
½ salt
½ cup milk
4 tbsp butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

Heat the oven to 350F.

To make the topping, drain the pineapple well, reserving 2 tablespoons of the juice or syrup for the cake batter. Melt the cold butter in a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Or, put the butter in a 9inch round cake pan and put it in the oven for a few minutes as the heat melts the butter.

Remove the pan from the oven or stove and sprinkle the brown sugar over the buttery surface. Place the pineapple rings carefully on top of the scattered brown sugar and melted butter, arranging them so they fit in 1 layer. (You may have a few left over). Place a cherry in the centre of each ring, and set the pan aside.

To make the cake, in a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Use a fork to mix them together well. Add the milk and butter and beat well with a mixer, scraping down the bowl once or twice until you have a thick, fairly smooth batter, about 1 to 2 minutes.

Add the egg, reserved pineapple syrup or juice and the vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes more, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides.

Carefully pour the batter over the pineapple arranged in the skillet or cake pan and use a spoon to spread it evenly to the edges of the pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the cake is golden brown and springs back when touched lightly in the centre. Cool in the skillet or pan for 5 minutes on a wire rack.

With oven mitts, carefully turn out the warm cake onto a serving plate by placing the plate upside down over the cake in the pan and then flipping them over together to release the cake onto the plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
 

3 comments:

  1. You are after my heart with the peach version of this! I'll be trying this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. If you lived closer, I would be in my car right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really pretty! I bet it was good too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!