May 31, 2010

Saturday Centus - 5/29/10

This is my first attempt at a Saturday Centus writing prompt hosted by Jenny Matlock. Pay no attention to the fact that it's NOT Saturday - the link will be live until NEXT Saturday.

Get inspired! Play along!I found out about Saturday Centus from Becky Povich at her blog. Pay her a visit and tell her JFC sent ya!

Today's prompt: “May I help you, miss? You look puzzled.”

“Mmmm… thank you, I’m just looking for my father. We came in together a moment ago, but he seems to have wandered off.”

Limit: 100 words (not including prompt), no bad language.

The Pilgrimage
Every April 24, I travel to Angler's Emporium. I wander through the aisles, looking at Ugli Sticks, reels and 20-pound test line. Without fail, just one glimpse at the waders makes me giggle.


Lost in thought, I don't notice the clerk.

“May I help you, miss? You look puzzled.”

“Mmmm… thank you, I’m just looking for my father. We came in together a moment ago, but he seems to have wandered off.”


Slightly embarrassed, I grin and head toward the exit. My next stop? The cemetery - I can't believe he's been dead for twelve years today.

I still miss him so.

13 comments:

  1. Very touching and really hit home for me with Father's Day approaching. Mine's been gone for 6 years.

    Hope you'll stick around and keep writing for the Centus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching and really hit home for me with Father's Day approaching. Mine's been gone for 6 years.

    Hope you'll stick around and keep writing for the Centus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this story...well done June...hope to see you again for the next Centus...Peace and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great first centus. Great mind think alike x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I love that you linked up to SC! What a touching and poignant story. It actually made me shiver.

    This was just some seriously tight writing!

    Thank you for amazing us this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so sweet. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like an interesting things to do!! Nice and short and makes you think creatively. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey June!! Did you find this from my blog?! I hope so!! I'll take the credit!! :D
    Great first entry!! I really enjoyed this, too. I participated for the first time, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Coincidentally, my son, littlest grandson, and myself travelled to my hometown this Memorial Day weekend for a trip down memory lane. My son had never been there. I didn't think much about it til we got to the lake I spent so many happy childhood days at. My dad passed away 4 years ago and one of my brothers and I had travelled to the same lake back then for our own little private memorial for our dad. So I 'found' my dad this weekend there in the beauty, the peace, and the quiet. My mom died 21 years ago...I 'find' her at a beach on the Oregon Coast whenever I go there...and both of them on some old VHS tapes when I want to remember what they looked and sounded like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WELCOME! Look forward to more from you. I liked this, I read it 3 times. I felt the embarrassment and love that dad wasn't there

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! So many stories this week (including mine) deal with the loss of a father, but I really like the direction you took yours. Giggling at the waders, beautiful touch! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the memory of this...and the surprise ending!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel a kindred spirit. My story was also about a daughter looking for her dead father. I like your writing and I oh so understand the emotions. My own father died when I was seven.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!