June 09, 2010

It's Always a Good Day for Chocolate Cake (even scary-looking cake)

Robin Sue at Big Red Kitchen rocks! I finally tried one of her recipes - Miss Mary's Velvet Almond Fudge Cake - but I skipped the almonds.  I figured there are enough nuts in this house already!

I've been looking at this recipe and the ingredients for darned near two weeks. Why the delay? Nothing but laziness, and the fact that several similar recipes I saw online said to use 3 oz. of instant pudding - and all the packages I've been able to find are almost four ounces in size.


That said, my lack of progress on baking was 80% laziness, 20% doubt that it would turn out due to pudding volume and the fact that I was making a Bundt cake.

Oh, and maybe I was engaged in a teeny tiny power struggle conducting a teeny tiny bit of an experiment. The Mister made TWO trips to the store to get me the ingredients I demanded asked for - maybe, just maybe, I wanted to see how long he'd wait without inquiring about my lack of baking initiative. The result? Ten days' lag time.


Decades ago, I had a heavy duty Bundt pan, and all was right with the baking world. Bundt cakes were all the rage in the 70s. My specialty was a zucchini cake with a cream cheese glaze drizzled over the peaks and valleys. 

Unfortunately, the Bundt pan and I parted ways some time ago. Since then, I have tried a silicone cathedral model, which resulted in major cake stickage. My cathedral cake looked like it had been bombed by the Resistance. The picture below is representative only of the shape of the silicone pan (the pan pictured is of better quality than the one currently hiding in the back of a cabinet).
Now, I am the proud(?) owner of a lightweight, more than likely, Alzheimer's-causing cast aluminum model. Again, stickage.
But what did I do this time? I simply took the part stuck in the pan and shoved it back on top of the cake. Then I dusted it with powdered sugar. And by dusting, I mean I used a teaspoon and Parkinsons-like unsteadiness in my hand to cause a veritable snowstorm of powdered sugar to appear on the top of the deformed (and slightly remodeled) cake. If snow were to fall on the cratered surface of the Moon, the picture I took of the cake could be confused with those sent back by NASA.  See what I mean?



I can confirm that the cake is indeed chocolately, but not with nearly as intense a flavor as the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake I made for my birthday cake and ice cream social.

Rest assured, I'm not giving up. I WILL beat this Bundt pan into submission.

Like Vince Lombardi** said, "When it's 4th down and 10 yards to go, with three minutes on the clock - what's a fella to do? Drop back ten and Bundt!"

Who am I to argue with logic like that?


**Vince Lombardi, a baker from Elkhart, IN. Ok, I totally made that part up.

6 comments:

  1. Hilarious!! I have a bundt pan that I bought about 5 years ago at a garage sale. (It was brand new...still in the package) I just spray that baby with lots of the non-stick-flour-in-it spray stuff and it works perfectly! Have you tried that? I even use the generic kind! Gasp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one ever said cake had to look good to taste good. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good, and I bet with a tall glass of milk, it would have been delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you made it 10 days in between shopping and baking lol and the Vince disclaimer at the bottom was funny too :) Chocolate tastes good no matter what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you can make a cooking post (which I usually avoid ... hating cooking and baking .. I like to focus on the eating) hilarious. I particularly liked the line " My cathedral cake looked like it had been bombed by the Resistance."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks have nothing to do with taste! And that goes for more than just cake!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!