June 10, 2010

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop - 06/10/10

Thursday is the day I like to wander over to Mama Kat's and see what's shakin' in Writer's Workshop. This week, I chose the prompt 'Before I was a mom'. Head on over and see all the great responses to all the prompts!

Before I was a mom,
  •  I was of little consequence
  • I never knew what 24/7 really meant until I was responsible for another human being's very existence
every.single.day.even.when.I.didn't.get.any.sleep.at.all.and.the.baby.cried.for.hours.on.end 
  • I never knew what unconditional love was
  • I never knew my love for my children could be so fierce
  • I thought I knew everything about this mom thing, and it turned out I didn't know jack...but that the baby didn't care, as long as I kept trying
  • I judged other mothers harshly when their children misbehaved, when I should have given them some slack
  • I never really appreciated the luxury of a shower, the absolutely decadent way it felt to be able to sleep all night long
  • I didn't know it was possible to NOT want to hear the baby cry the second I woke up, and then, immediately worry that the baby was NOT crying!
  • I never realized how fingerpaint handprints would make me want to slow down time
  • I never knew that the time would go by so quickly
  • I thought that I'd have little kids in the house FOREVER, and consequently, I didn't treasure my time with the kids when they were little as much as I should
  • I expected my "job" as Mom to last 18 years per kid...but it never ends, this love and caring I feel, even though we may be miles and miles apart
  • I didn't know I'd like it so much
  • I didn't know I'd cry so much
  • I didn't know that I'd earn every wrinkle, and most of those from smiling
  • I didn't know how much I'd miss the sticky kisses and chubby fingered hands on my face
  • I sure didn't know that I'd get to experience all the good stuff again when the grandkids arrived!

20 comments:

  1. Ohhh I didn't know I'd cry so much....SOOOO true. I left that one out on my post!

    That is exactly what my mom says, she is glad she gets to do it all over again as a grandma, especially now that she is my primary day care person!

    Thank God for Grandma's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sweet post. As moms we sure do cry a lot! I didnt know that this lack of sleep thing was forever, I thought it was just when they were babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, you are so right about the shower thing, I've seen it on every post so far!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from Mama Kat's. :) What a sweet post! I can't imagine what life would be like if I'd never become a mother. My kids are the reason I do what I do each day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a lot about what it will be like when one or all of them are gone from home. Nearly drives me into a panic attack. You gt used to it right? The fact that they aren't there and are doing things you can't see isn't all consuming is it? Because if so, I think I'll make them drop out of school and become codependent losers who never want to leave home or even get jobs. Then we can be together forever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet post! Before I was a mom, I didn't tear up watching chubby little babies on diaper commercials...lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I love it! Being a mom is the greatest job on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sweet and so true!

    Here's mine:
    http://deniseisrundmt.com/2010/06/08/my-ultimate-honey-do-list/

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah - the cryin' bit...specially when they're teenagers! but isn't the gramma stuff the total bomb! love it!!! specially when i get to laugh at the daughter when the grand does somethin' that drives her momma nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your list. I had to stop by your blog after reading your title. "June Freaking Cleaver". Love It. I'll be stopping by again.

    Yeah, the crying stuff. Didn't know being a mom made your eyes leak water on a consistant basis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mommyhood is great despite all the in betweens

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! The sticky kisses and chubby fingers are the best! Mine are getting big too, and I'm sad. I'm not ready to be a big kid's mom!
    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love this! Thanks for posting from an "big kid's" mom perspective. Trying hard to savor, not just endure, my time w/little ones :) twirlsncurls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my goodness, the decadence of a shower and a full nights sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for being a mom! So glad I didn't pass this up for other things. (=

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally cry all.the.time. I love your name June Freakin' Cleaver- very funny! Visiting from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You rocked this ... such a good mix of tenderness and humor. And it does feel like FOREVER when it is happening, doesn't it? I keep reminding myself that I'll miss these times one day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!