June 18, 2010

The Ongoing Controversy about Coleslaw Blend

Just what IS coleslaw blend, you ask? I know now, but the lack of knowledge earlier almost had dastardly results. In fact, it caused a bit of a ruckus here in the Cleaver compound during dinner prep and dinner time.

I got bamboozled by Kraft Foods - they promised me a coupon or a nifty cookbook or some other nonsense, so I became a Facebook friend, and now get recipes and other tips sent via email.

I must be the luckiest gal in the universe. Now I'm never at a loss for fun, nutritious food to serve my family!


Ok, now to explain the entire coleslaw blend debacle. The recipe (listed below) includes "coleslaw blend" as an ingredient. I'm thinkin' that coleslaw blend is the well-known  shredded cabbage and carrot mixture, to which you add your favorite dressing.


Unfortunately for me, I thought this was common knowledge. Let this post serve as a warning to the danger of grand assumptions.


Here's where The Mister gets involved. Since I am still embroiled in a self-imposed work stoppage, The Mister agreed to go to the store to buy three ingredients I needed for the recipe: shredded four cheese (dare I call it blend?), a lime, and the dreaded coleslaw blend.


The Mister insists that he asked if I meant the shredded mix, and I said NO. He also insists that he then asked if I meant the prepared coleslaw, and that my response was YES. Oh, how I love him when he's delusional like that!


I blame the entire incident on the fact that he asks me questions on his way BACK to the man cave, and since his hearing is already faulty, there's no way he could hear my answer when he's walking further away from me.


Oh, and the basic fact that he NEVER listens to me. I swear, when I talk, he hears Charlie Brown's teacher. Wah wah, wah wah, wah wah.


Imagine my disgust surprise when he comes home with PREPARED COLESLAW. 


Since I've got a stubborn streak a mile long already committed to making this dish for dinner, I throw in the prepared coleslaw with the other ingredients and say a quick kitchen prayer that no one dies from eating dinner tonight...oh wait, I do that every night that I cook.

The results of this recipe? The Mister loved it! The Boy and I? Not so much. I didn't even get a chance to take a pic of the finished dish, as The Mister swooped in for seconds before I could get the camera. The photo above is courtesy of Kraft Foods.

And I WILL make this again, but do it the correct way - and I'm sure it will be loads better than the fun and nutritious crap I served my family for dinner. Thanks, Kraft Foods! 

Oh, and next time? I'll be throwing an 'I Told You So' party! Maybe The Mister's portion should be made with crow, instead of chicken?





THIS is the recipe that nearly tore our family apart...try it at your own risk. 

Mexican Grilled Chicken Wrap

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, grilled, chopped
1-1/2 cups  coleslaw blend
1 tsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp.  lime juice
1/4 cup KRAFT Ranch Dressing
1/2 cup  KRAFT Mexican Style Finely Shredded Four Cheese
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
4   whole wheat tortillas (10 inch)
1/2 cup TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Thick 'N Chunky Mild Salsa
1/4 cup  BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream

HEAT grill to medium heat
COMBINE first 7 ingredients.
SPOON chicken mixture down centers of tortillas. Fold in sides of tortillas, then roll up burrito-style. Secure with toothpicks, if desired.
GRILL, seam-sides down, 8 to 9 min. or until golden brown on all sides, turning occasionally. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

 

4 comments:

  1. My first thought (aside from OMG that looks so super yum, now I'm hungry, what's in the fridge to eat?) was isn't coleslaw blend that like mayo creamy junk you put on the shredded stuff to make coleslaw? But clearly I was wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what kind of recipe asks for an ingredient called "coleslaw blend"?? I think Kraft worded it wrong!! My husband is the same way about listening....what IS it with these guys?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it looks good. I would us canned chicken breast to save even more time. I'm all for prepared ingredients!

    You are so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that recipe does look so good. hmmmm, I might just have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!