June 06, 2010

Saturday Centus - 06/05/2010

Once again, I'm trying my hand at Jenny Matlock's Saturday Centus. The object of the meme is to, using the given writing prompt, create something wonderfuly witty and/or touching USING JUST 100 WORDS OF YOUR CHOOSING.

This week's prompt:
I settled into the comfortable movie theater seat with awkward 3D glasses perched on my nose, a small tub of popcorn on my lap, and a bottle of water lodged into the seat holder,  

Escapism

I settled into the comfortable movie theater seat with awkward 3D glasses perched on my nose, a small tub of popcorn on my lap, and a bottle of water lodged into the seat holder,  and tried to become invisible in the darkness of the theater.


God, how I hated action/adventure movies! And viewing anything 3-D was always sure to result in a raging headache.

But I was counting on the special effects to drown out the sound of my sobbing as I choked down my popcorn. I was there to mourn the end of my 13-year marriage. As I sat in the theater, my husband was packing his things. I couldn't bear to watch him leave me.


As I pondered my future, I recognized the irony of being surrounded by couples.


Happy Valentine's Day.


17 comments:

  1. I loved this one! And I love your name too...June Cleaver is my idol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abso-freakin-lutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of the prompt. You were able to capture so much emotion in such a short passage. Wonderful! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY! My favorite. This could be so many...This was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job with this week's prompt...sad...Peace and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh dear...such a sad but honest story.
    well done!
    Mine is here
    Have you a great Sunday!
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! You write exceptionally well! This was inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how I loved this. Your husband leaving, couples and Valentine's Day. This was really exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did it again, Mrs. C.!! (yeah, I know that's from Happy Days, not Leave it to Beaver....what can I say?!)

    Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd probably end up at a theatre too! Movies are my great escape but not 3-D they give me headaches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! PS: I hate adventure flicks, too...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just what any person needs going through a divorce.. a 3-D movie...lol. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, you're pretty good at this...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. Ummm.... Wow. What an incredible heart-wrenching, visual-inducing link. Super creative use of this prompt! I am beyond impressed with your story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!