June 19, 2010

Saturday Centus - 06/19/10

It's Saturday, and again, I am participating in Saturday Centus, hosted by Jenny Matlock.

Mr. Jenny comes up with a weekly writing prompt, and requires that you limit your response to 100 words (but nothing risque). Play along, won't you?

This week's prompt? It was Father's Day, 1984, when I heard that voice in the hallway... 




(For some reason, when I sit and ponder the prompt each Saturday, I feel like I should preface my finished text with "For your consideration", like Rod Serling did on Twilight Zone episodes). This may or may not be an indication of just how warped my wee little mind is...

For your consideration...Persistence Pays Off, Pops 

It was Father's Day, 1984, when I heard that voice in the hallway... 
 
For a split second, I thought my dad was at the door. He knew I wasn't driving to Phoenix today just so he could ask when I was going to "make something" of myself.

Fred was speaking animatedly to our visitor; I heard the crash of the beer can pyramid we constructed during TBS's Cheech and Chong movie marathon.

"Dude, freakin' get out here, man! It's that dude from Publisher's Clearinghouse! Man, look at the size of that check!" 

As Ed McMahon shook my hand, I thought I might just give my old man a call, after all.

16 comments:

  1. Love the way your mind works! That would be a great phone call, wouldn't it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one is clever, unique, and just plain fun.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! " I heard the crash of the beer can pyramid we constructed during TBS's Cheech and Chong movie marathon." just cracks me up. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, this is seriously funny! Great, unexpected use of the prompt! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever, funny...what an imagination...very nice...Peace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wildly different take on Father's Day! Wish I were so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mind works in interesting ways...

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol, I surely didn't see the Publisher's Clearing House coming. Great clever, funny centus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a hoot! I wonder how often Ed McMahon was called Dude?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Been reading a lot of very tragic and dark Centus tales. This was a great laugh. And the Cheech and Chong bit really struck a chord. Actually been there, minus the pyramid. GREAT job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A happy ending! great! tHank you !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude! who doesn't love a little Cheech and Chong! Fun story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great story! Ahh, the sweet taste of revenge. I enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. JFC!

    Loved this twist. I totally did not see this one coming!

    What an awesome S-C you linked this week for our consideration!

    You are really cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!