July 25, 2010

Saturday Centus - 07/24/10 - High School Reunion

I'm once again participating in Saturday Centus, hosted by Jenny Matlock. The goal? Using the writing prompt, write something without exceeding the 100 word limit (not counting the prompt). Oh, and nothing too risque, there are children in the room.

The prompt appears below, in bold text.

Driving six hours is a long time on the road. Six hours spent singing car-aoke and taking in the picturesque scenery, but mostly reminiscing about the good times. But those days were long gone and my mind was in a different place now. Or was it? My pulse quickened as I passed the road sign which read "Medford 27 miles." 

I hadn't been back since I graduated from Medford High in 1985. I'd been a cheerleader, and dated Brad Snelling senior year. It was assumed we'd get married. I wondered if he'd recognize me at the reunion tonight?

I drove past Mary's Tas-T-Land; it looked the same, just a bit more weathered. I wondered if Suzanne Vrable's mom still worked there - heck, she had probably retired by now.

Pulling into the parking lot of Lakeview Inn, I glanced at the invitation addressed to Ms. Christine Eberle.

Adjusting my necktie, I hoped they'd remembered to put Christofer on my name tag. 
   

19 comments:

  1. Too freaking cool, June! LOL! That was the twist to end all twists at the end! Great job working with the prompt! I absolutely loved where you took this! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! What a twist to this one! Really clever & I so wish I could see their faces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh! As Tom said..Twisted! I like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, June! I never saw that coming! Fabulous!! You are such a great writer!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MWAHAHAHAHA....

    Cheerleader for sure!

    Loved this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you did it! I wondered if anyone would go there! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what an O Henry ending you had on this one!Clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! Funny twist! My 40th is coming up in 2011! (I'm such a dino!)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME! What an amazing twist! All hail June Freaking Cleaver!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy, to be a fly on THAT wall! What an incredibly fun way to twist the prompt. Really well done! Kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally awesome! Nice, original take on the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely fabulous! You came at me out of nowhere with the wonderful twist at the end. You, my dear, have a new follower! Great, just great!..........cj

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was the BEST. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens at some reunions. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a gift for this short fiction. Love the twist at the end ... and the specific details.

    ReplyDelete
  15. First, I love your blog name. Your take on Jenny's prompt is one of the most unusual I've seen. Very creative.
    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha! This is great! So unexpected and hilarious.
    ~Lissa

    ReplyDelete
  17. JFC! Love, love, love this!

    I want to read the sequel to this. Let's see the jaw-drops and the hastily whispered "OMG!" ripple through the room.

    What a fantastic bit of writing.

    Absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!