August 14, 2010

Saturday Centus -08/14/10 - Part Deux

The Boy is mortified that I wrote about his literal interpretation of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"...so I thought it would only be fair if I ALSO embarrassed my middle child from being literal. This next example occurred when my daughter Erin was almost four years old.

Again, the prompt appears in bold.

My News Fell Flat

I listened to them from my perch on the top step and didn't know whether to laugh or to cry...


"I don't WANNA GO!", Erin sobbed.

"Mommy said we could get ice cream at Dairy Queen after we go to the gas station. Get your coat, or she'll get mad, and she might change her mind." I loved Shannon's motherly advice to her sister.

I entered the living room, coat on, purse in hand. "Let's go, girls. I need to put air in the tire before it goes flat."

Erin's sobbing intensified. Walking over to her, I gave her a hug, and helped her put her coat on. "Mommy, are you really going to put ME in the tire?"

14 comments:

  1. OMG! Did you say this was true? Poor baby!! Awww... things that young children hear and believe sometimes. That just reminded me of something I hadn't thought of lately. When my youngest son, who is now 22, was about 4 years old, the three of us (hubby, Mark and I) were on vacation....driving somewhere. We stopped at a Wendys to eat and Mark ate a lot more food than usual. (must've been better than mom's cooking) When we saw what was left on his plate, my husband and I kidded him about it, saying, "Wow Mark! Look how much you ate! Your tummy's gonna explode!" He burst into tears, and cried, "I don't want my tummy to explode!" Poor guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids really are so literal, aren't they? We have to be careful what we say around them!

    Really fun centuses from you this time. Both.

    =)

    PS. And equity prevails...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Em Gee! This is a riot! How many kids are left? More stories please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! You know the poor kiddo was really terrified if even the promise of DQ couldn't get her out the door :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how fabulous! You are so naughty!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, poor Erin! Who would have thought that a child would interpret those words that way? I never thought of Erin as "air in". That is too funny! Thanks for sharing that amusing story!

    Malisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Priceless! We forget with the little ones that they don't always hear what you want them to understand. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!!

    Now I think you have ANOTHER child you need to embarass still, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant, (and so cute too) I love it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Love it! So cute!

    Glad you're an equal opportunity embarrassing Mom!

    Thanks for the smile.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!