August 22, 2010

Saturday Centus - 08/21/10

Time again for Saturday Centus. Thanks to the efforts of Jenny Matlock, I get another opportunity to write and receive lovely comments from other submitters.

This week's assignment is a bit different. The topic of today's writing is: What I Did on My Summer Vacation.

The rules? It must be 100 words, EXACTLY (Jenny's being a stickler this week) - and don't you dare include the title in your word count. Your story may be factual or fictional.

What I Did on My Summer Vacation

Ah, the summer of 2007. When Hope sprang eternal, and all was right with the world. I lived my life with aplomb that summer. And I've suffered from a a severe lack of aplomb ever since.

We flew to Disney World, The Boy and I. Shannon, Aaron and the grandkids drove down, along with Grandma Patty. I declined the offer to ride along, as I wanted to extend the Era of Good Feelings.

My goal? Spend money...and smile. I did both, with great abandon.

Two months later, I got laid off...and I haven't worked since.

This is one long summer vacation.

14 comments:

  1. I loved that. I laughed out loud...particularly about not wanting to ride in the car to "extend the era of good feelings". I so get that and have vowed to never go on vacation in the same car as the grandkids until they are older. Glad I stopped by and discovered your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Irony and sarcasm! And a glass half full. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noticed your header info. I did something similar and lost a crapload of posted photos! Ugh, I feel your pain.

    Great use of the prompt this week. Picking a year when life was a wee bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And isn't it odd how time feels different when you're on vacation, especially for a long time?

    Nicely done, JFC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun that was until the end, ha. I bet a lot of people in this economy had that happen to them. I loved this though. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I hope that wasn't true! I would like to have the mission to "spend money and smile"! That would be fun! I enjoyed your story!

    I just posted my contribution. Please stop by!

    Malisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mrs. C! --- Since I do know you, I know that this is true...or at least the "laid off and haven't worked since" part. I'm still sending good thoughts your way...and I'll keep checking online for jobs, too!!
    Great writing, as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least you got one last hurrah. I mean, you gotta try and put a positive spin on things. At least that is what people tell me.

    Excellent spin on the theme this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh that is one long vacation...well told!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story! But I 'm sorry to hear that this was your last 'slurge'. I am looking for work myself right now, so I know the feeling...
    Best wishes,
    Anna
    Anna's Saturday Centus Week-16

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! This really made me chuckle, and I needed that today.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad that you got the trip in before the bottom dropped out. I loved the line "extend the Era of Good Feelings" - just cracked me up, after many, many trips with too many people in one car :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like I lost my aplomp ages ago.

    And I'm sorry I missed this prompt! Next week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!