September 17, 2010

Politicians, Hookers and Hope for The Boy's Future

Image source
Last night, we arrived in our state capital. The Boy and I drove about three hours to reach our hotel. Looking out the window, I can see the Capitol building. 

I told The Boy that we'd check into our hotel, and he could get ready for bed.




"Can we get some booze while we're here?"


I responded in the negative.


"Can we at least get some hookers?"


He's a funny, naughty fellow, that Boy.

When we could first see the Capitol building when we arrived in the city, I pointed it out to The Boy, and asked him if he wanted to visit it after we finished with our meeting tomorrow.


His response?


"I could hardly care less for the place where our state's bad decisions are made."

The Boy is a political animal, for sure.

Today, The Boy and I are attending a summit that will teach us what we need to account for when we do his transitional IEP (Individualized Education Plan) at school. All students who receive Special Education services have an IEP - it tells the teachers what accommodations must be made to ensure that the child receives a FAPE (Free Appropriate Public Education). A transitional IEP (which is created for every special ed student by the time he/she reaches the age of 16) will allow us to make sure that The Boy can access all of the services he will need to be successful through high school, and later, in the adult world.

We'll start the morning with a talk given by a prior student. She is now an adult, living on her own, and she will describe the challenges and successes she's had.

Some of the other sessions include:


  • Life on My Own, How Will I Manage?
  • Disability Awareness and Living Well
  • Going to College
  • Vocational Rehabilitation Services


We have an IEP meeting scheduled at the high school on the 22nd, so this summit was timed perfectly. I'm sure we won't get into much discussion about transition at next week's meeting, but the school district will know that we're prepared when we have another meeting later.


I'm very concerned about our meeting, due to the many changes that have taken place in The Boy's schooling this year. He is doing remarkably well so far - not one outburst, and his grades are excellent on his mid-term report card.


Let's hope we can put things in place that will extend his success for many, many years to come.


4 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled for your family, genuinely- that school is going so well. The boy cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an incredible mom. It takes a special person to be who you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a good trip...and congrats to The Boy for his progress....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy that things seem to be going well this year ... sounds like he's grown up quite a bit ... those comments about booze and hookers notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!