October 17, 2010

The REAL June Cleaver 1915 - 2010

The REAL June Cleaver passed away Saturday. She was 94 years old.

Forever known for her role as matriarch on Leave it to Beaver, she has had a lasting impact on mothers since the show's 1957 debut (I also made my world debut in 1957).

Moms wanted to BE June Cleaver; kids wanted her to be their mom.

Her dresses, heels and string of pearls, as well as her calm  and understanding demeanor when dealing with the hijinx of Wally and The Beav, gave women an impossible standard to maintain in all things maternal and wifely.

How many times have you heard a mom say, "I'm no June Cleaver" - as if to say that they lack the ability to reach her pinnacle of parental  and domestic perfection?

Some quotes from Barbara Billingsley:


When asked if there was a difference between her and the June Cleaver character: "My sons say, no. Gradually what happened is the writer started writing about you, as well as the character they created originally. So you all become mixed up."

"June Cleaver didn't keep her house in perfect order, the prop man did it."

So until we all get a prop man, we're on our own.

Here's a clip of The Cleavers in all their glory:





Here is Barbara talking jive in one of The Boy's favorite movies, Airplane!:



Rest in peace, Barbara/June. I'll continue to muddle through without you.




7 comments:

  1. I'm still waiting for my prop man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this, Miss June! I was saddened when I heard the news earlier this morning, but wow...what a long and good life Ms. Billingsly had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm...I'd like a prop man too.

    And you know the first thing I thought when I saw she had died? YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely, yup, the prop man would be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad, I can still remember watching reruns of this as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I hadn't heard about her passing, thanks for the update. I used to love watching that show and hubby everyonce in awhile will watch it if he happens across it.
    Her character was everything I wanted my mom to be, but she wasn't even close.

    I would love to have a prop man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just drinking my morning coffee and saw the bit on the real June Cleaver passing away ..and of course immediately thought of you.
    I did love that show. . . she really was a great tv mom. .maybe the greatest.

    Thanks so much for visiting mennonite girls can cook .. we so enjoy your visits.

    Lovella MGCC

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love your comments...I get all warm inside just reading them!